From: surreal on
All of a sudden my soundcard refused to work. I used 'alsaconf' and it
detected the card. I was able to use it but after a reboot all settings seem
to have lost.

Please help. What happened all of a sudden that the card that was working
well decided to misbehave and its not saving the settings too..!

--
Harshad Joshi
From: Neal Hogan on
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM, surreal <firewalrus(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> All of a sudden my soundcard refused to work. I used 'alsaconf' and it
> detected the card. I was able to use it but after a reboot all settings seem
> to have lost.

Didi you save your settings?

man alsactl

look at the 'store' option.

alsaconf is provided by the alsa-utils package in Debian
Lenny. It has been deprecated, however, in testing and
unstable. here's the snippet from NEWS.gz:

alsa-utils (1.0.19-1) unstable; urgency=low

This upload removes alsaconf and asoundconf, two scripts which
could be used to modify certain ALSA parametres, as they caused
more problems than provided solutions, were outdated and generally
useless.

alsaconf was upstream's way to detect sound cards and generate
system-wide ALSA configurations. However, this should have been
unnecessary for a very long time, with the introduction of udev
support and its automatic hardware detection. If this isn't the
case for you, it's a bug which should be filed and fixed properly.
(snip)

-- Jordi Mallach <jordi(a)debian.org> Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:53:02 +0100

So, any solution you figure out with alsaconf will
unfortunately not be relevant if/when you come to upgrade.
I'm assuming you are using Debian Lenny here. Is that
right?

What kind of sound card do you have? When you boot, and it
is not working, is it listed in the output of "lspci" (if a
PCI card)? When you boot, and the sound is not working, what
is the output of

/sbin/lsmod | grep ^snd_

?

--