From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-23 16:39, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:55:00 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> GNOME is a DE (Desktop Environment). It's standard WM is Metacity
>> (rhymes with mendacity and audacity).
>
> Well, you learn something new every day, if you stay awake.
> (That's what my grandfather always used to say.)
> I always pronounced it "meta city" (similar to "fat city").
> I thought it was an appropriate name, since when used by itself
> (i.e. without GNOME) you use the "Meta" key (i.e. the Alt key)
> for just about everything! Oh well.

From an old metacity README:
Metacity is not a meta-City as in an urban center, but
rather Meta-ness as in the state of being meta. i.e.
metacity : meta as opacity : opaque. Also it may have
something to do with the Meta key on UNIX keyboards.

So, not audacity but opacity.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On 2010-03-24 08:01, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:45:09 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> From an old metacity README:
>> Metacity is not a meta-City as in an urban center, but
>> rather Meta-ness as in the state of being meta. i.e.
>> metacity : meta as opacity : opaque. Also it may have
>> something to do with the Meta key on UNIX keyboards.
>>

> I don't doubt the truth of your claim. I mean, there it is in
> print from the upstream author. It just surprised me. But
> even the author hints that this may not have been the original
> pronunciation.
>
> "Also it may have something to do with the Meta key
> on UNIX keyboards."

Right. It's still meta-ness (whether the state of being meta or
from the Meta key).

> The fact that he put that blurb in there at all also indicates
> that many people were pronouncing it

As I did for quite a while...