From: Bob Proulx on
Kent West wrote:
> I'm thinking this must be a bug in the installer's partitioner. If I let
> the install create partitions automatically, the bootable flag is set.
> But if I unset it and then try to re-set it, or if I manually create
> partitions, I can not set the bootable flag. It stays "off".

It might be a bug. But is it an important bug? I think you can
ignore it. As a technical fault I would only rate it as minor.

As far as I know the bootable flag isn't important for anything these
days. AFAIK it is only a piece of legacy lint left over in the system
from the old days when MSDOS required it. As I recall at one time the
MSDOS boot sequence required exactly one partition to have the
bootable flag. But if you are booting with grub or another modern
bootstraping loader and then it is booting the Linux kernel then I
don't think anything actually looks at that flag. If it does then it
would probably be very BIOS version dependent with some doing it and
others ignoring it. YMMV.

Bob
From: Bob Proulx on
Kent West wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>>> I recommend that you ignore the hardware raid and instead use software
>>> raid. The Debian installer can set up software raid for you at system
>>> installation time. It is easy. But it is also a little confusing.
> It still wasn't easy, but it worked.

I probably shouldn't have said it like that and given too much of an
impression there that it was too trivial. Because I admit that the
debian-installer is a little confusing on one particular area and that
is setting up RAID and LVM. But I don't know how to make the use
model better. Without a suggestion I can't complain about it.

The confusion I see people go through is that initially there are no
visible settings for RAID or LVM on the top level partition display.
First you have to set up a partition to be either RAID or LVM and then
the option of configuring it appears on the the top level display. It
is logical and makes sense and I have been through it so often I don't
think about it anymore. But in helping others I have seen many people
stumped at that point because the first action is in a sub-display
menu and there isn't a hook to drag them down to it from the top.

The guided setup using lvm works fairly well though. I just used it
for the first time and was quite happy to see that the default actions
all seemed to do what I wanted them to do. I think in the future I
will be able to recommend guided partitioning with lvm with everything
in one filesystem and expect the d-i to set it up automatically.

> Thanks for the info!

Glad to help.

Bob
From: Tom H on
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman(a)meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> shell> grub-install hd0
> shell> grub-install hd1

With these grub-install invocations, you will not be able to boot in
degraded mode.

You have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 but you cannot do that in
device.map. You have to use the grub shell:

root# grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
root#

PS: Maybe you can do the following
root# vi /boot/grub/device.map
root# cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0) /dev/sda
root# grub-install hd0
root# vi /boot/grub/device.map
root# cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0) /dev/sdb
root# grub-install hd0
root# rm /boot/grub/device.map
but I've never tried it.

Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfidelman(a)meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>

>> shell> grub-install hd0
>> shell> grub-install hd1
>>
> With these grub-install invocations, you will not be able to boot in
> degraded mode.
>
> You have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 but you cannot do that in
> device.map. You have to use the grub shell:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this - at least it's worked for me in
the past.

You DON'T have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 - what you have to achieve is:

1. have identical bits in /boot on both drives - so that they can be
read before the raid array gets created
-- if you've built with RAID-1, and done a standard install, this
happens automatically

2. get grub installed on the MBR of both drives - so your BIOS can boot
off either drive
-- grub-install does this for you

3. set up your BIOS to fallback to sdb if sda fails to respond

4. set up your menu.1st to boot off sdb if sda fails to respond

I'm pretty sure that things will break badly if grub things that both
disks are hd0.

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman(a)meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Miles Fidelman
>> <mfidelman(a)meetinghouse.net>  wrote:
>>

>>> shell>  grub-install hd0
>>> shell>  grub-install hd1
>>>

>> With these grub-install invocations, you will not be able to boot in
>> degraded mode.
>>
>> You have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 but you cannot do that in
>> device.map. You have to use the grub shell:
>
> I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this - at least it's worked for me in the
> past.
>
> You DON'T have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 - what you have to achieve is:
>
> 1. have identical bits in /boot on both drives - so that they can be read
> before the raid array gets created
> -- if you've built with RAID-1, and done a standard install, this happens
> automatically
>
> 2. get grub installed on the MBR of both drives - so your BIOS can boot off
> either drive
> -- grub-install does this for you
>
> 3. set up your BIOS to fallback to sdb if sda fails to respond
>
> 4. set up your menu.1st to boot off sdb if sda fails to respond
>
> I'm pretty sure that things will break badly if grub things that both disks
> are hd0.

It is a standard procedure to ensure that you can boot from a degraded
raid1 array:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Software_RAID_Install#Installing_Grub_onto_both_MBRs