From: peasthope on
* Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:47:55 +0100 Vincent Lefevre wrote,
> The ifconfig command
> is said to be deprecated in favour of iproute ...

Curious. The Squeeze installer, or Lenny at least,
still creates /etc/network/interfaces doesn't it?
And this file is cited in ifconfig.man but not in
ip.man.

If we are willing to take deprecation of ifconfig
seriously, how should something in the iproute
package be directed to configure the interfaces?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"

>> The ifconfig command
>> is said to be deprecated in favour of iproute ...

> Curious.  The Squeeze installer, or Lenny at least,
> still creates /etc/network/interfaces doesn't it?
> And this file is cited in ifconfig.man but not in
> ip.man.

> If we are willing to take deprecation of ifconfig
> seriously, how should something in the iproute
> package be directed to configure the interfaces?

Neither ifconfig nor ip use /e/n/i to configure nics. /e/n/i may be
referred to in the "see also" section of man page of ifconfig, but it
is "only" used by ifup and ifdown.