From: peasthope on
Stephen,

> I think you might have been somewhat confused by my suggestions.
> I actually gave two completely different alternative recovery scenarios.

Yes. I'd missed Alternative number 1 and followed 2
approximately. I used the ncurses interface whereas
you refer to the CLUI.

> If you can't find an installer CD which uses the same kernel version that
> you are using,

The extant system has 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 in /boot. The
"daily built" Squeeze installer worked with no snags.

> With boot=/dev/hda1, lilo will install itself in the boot sector
> of the first partition on drive /dev/hda.

Understood.

> I assume that you changed it to say boot=/dev/hda

Yes.

> Read the man page for lilo.conf carefully.

OK, the installation default is "delay=0" but even
with non-zero delay I couldn't get the Lilo prompt.
Finally I changed "install=bmp" to "install=menu"
and booted single with no problem.

> Now, is it possible to create a third menu item,
> ... put "single" in the append option ...

That's it! Thanks.

The system is on its feet again.
Thanks, ... Peter E.

--