From: Bob Weber on
Use smartctl from the smartmontools package. If mdadm says that /dev/sdc (or
cat /proc/mdstat) is at fault then use "smartctl -a /dev/sdc" and it will print
out all kinds of info on the drive including its serial number which should be
on a sticker on the case of the drive.

The programs included with smartmontools might have warned you of an impending
failure. I have a smart self long test run om my drives 2 times a week.

*...Bob*

From: Håkon Alstadheim on
Steven skrev:
> How to identify which drive has failed in an array?
>
> I have 6 disks, 4 are used in raid (mdadm), the other 2 contain /boot, /
> and /home.
> /dev/sdc
> /dev/sdd
> /dev/sde
> /dev/sdf
> Each have 1 partition.
> /dev/md0 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1
> /dev/md1 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1
>
> If a drive fails, how do I know which drive? This is a desktop system, not
> a server.

Just do "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/". The disks will have factory labels
with serial-numbers to match.

--
Håkon Alstadheim / N-7510 Skatval / email:hakon(a)alstadheim.priv.no
tlf: 74 82 60 27 mob: 47 35 39 38

On 16/06/2010 19:00, H�kon Alstadheim wrote:
> Steven skrev:
>> How to identify which drive has failed in an array?
>>
>> I have 6 disks, 4 are used in raid (mdadm), the other 2 contain /boot, /
>> and /home.
>> /dev/sdc
>> /dev/sdd
>> /dev/sde
>> /dev/sdf
>> Each have 1 partition.
>> /dev/md0 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1
>> /dev/md1 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1
>>
>> If a drive fails, how do I know which drive? This is a desktop system,
>> not
>> a server.
>>

> Just do "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/". The disks will have factory labels
> with serial-numbers to match.

This is a better way then disconnecting the drive and checking which
drive was disconnected like I did, but I would still put a very easy to
read label on the drive to say /dev/sdX. It would be far easier then
checking a long serial number, especially if it's hard to read and you'd
need to take each HDD out to check :)