From: KS on
Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me his hard disk to try to rescue data from it. It
is a 500GB SATA drive which was in an USB enclosure. His machine
(Windows XP) is unable to detect it when the enclosure is connected.

I connected it in my machine (internal SATA) and just did a ddrescue of
the disk to a 1.5TB hard disk using a Sysrescue CD. The process tells me
that there were 37 errors totalling 151kB.

The ISO image generated is about 466GB. However, when I mount the image
using
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /path/to/image.iso /path/to/mntpt

it shows that the mntpt is just 121MB.
When I do a listing of the mntpt directory I get:

root(a)sysresccd /root % ddrescue -v /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
/mnt/windows/rescueLog.txt

About to copy 500107 MBytes from /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
Starting positions: infile = 0 B, outfile = 0 B
Copy block size: 128 hard blocks
Hard block size: 512 bytes
Max_retries: 0
Direct: no Sparse: no Split: yes Truncate: no

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 471251 MB, errsize: 3098 kB, errors: 35
Current status
rescued: 500107 MB, errsize: 151 kB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 210521 MB, errors: 37, average rate: 679 kB/s
opos: 210521 MB, time from last successful read: 6.7 m
Finished
root(a)sysresccd /root % man mount
root(a)sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/windows/rescueDataDump
root(a)sysresccd /root % ls /mnt
backup cdrom custom floppy gentoo livecd memory windows
root(a)sysresccd /root % mount -o loop -t iso9660
/mnt/windows/rescueData.iso /mnt/cdrom
root(a)sysresccd /root % ls /mnt/cdrom
〰〹 䝎䑒噌慮?湩㬱
root(a)sysresccd /root % du -sch /mnt/cdrom
13K /mnt/cdrom
13K total
root(a)sysresccd /root % df -h
tmpfs 491M 25M 467M 6% /
/dev/sr0 121M 121M 0 100% /mnt/cdrom
/dev/loop0 194M 194M 0 100% /mnt/livecd
tmpfs 491M 25M 467M 6% /mnt/memory
udev 10M 164K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 491M 13M 478M 3% /lib/firmware
/dev/sda1 1.4T 466G 932G 34% /mnt/windows
/mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
121M 121M 0 100% /mnt/cdrom

Any advice on how to proceed from here? Or can someone suggest a better
method?

Thanks
..KS.

KS:

> root(a)sysresccd /root % mount -o loop -t iso9660

Why do you mount the dump file from ddrescue as ISO image? Doesn't the
subject say it should actually contain an NTFS filesystem? I am
surprised that this actually works.

> /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso /mnt/cdrom
> root(a)sysresccd /root % ls /mnt/cdrom
> 〰〹 䝎䑒噌慮?湩㬱

Do you expect this kind of characters or is it just "garbage" (from your
point if view)?

> Any advice on how to proceed from here? Or can someone suggest a better
> method?

It depends on what you want to achieve. If all you want is to rescue
personal documents, images and the like, I suggest you to try photorec
from the testdisk package. It can recover many files of different types
from otherwise unusable filesystems.

J.
--
I count my partner's eyelashes.
[Agree] [Disagree]
From: John Hasler on
KS writes:
> I connected it in my machine (internal SATA) and just did a ddrescue
> of the disk to a 1.5TB hard disk using a Sysrescue CD. The process
> tells me that there were 37 errors totalling 151kB.

Ok...

> The ISO image generated is about 466GB.

"ISO"? I thought you made an image of a NTFS drive. Where did the ISO
come from?

> However, when I mount the image using mount -o loop -t iso9660
> /path/to/image.iso /path/to/mntpt

Why is that not "-t ntfs"?
--
John Hasler

John Hasler wrote:
> KS writes:
>> I connected it in my machine (internal SATA) and just did a ddrescue
>> of the disk to a 1.5TB hard disk using a Sysrescue CD. The process
>> tells me that there were 37 errors totalling 151kB.
>
> Ok...
>
>> The ISO image generated is about 466GB.
>
> "ISO"? I thought you made an image of a NTFS drive. Where did the ISO
> come from?
>
>> However, when I mount the image using mount -o loop -t iso9660
>> /path/to/image.iso /path/to/mntpt
>
> Why is that not "-t ntfs"?

I tried -t ntfs (with and without errors=recover) and I also tried to
mount the bad HDD but the system couldn't find ntfs boot sector on either.

**without errors=recover ***
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
NTFS-fs warning (device loop1): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot
sector checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot
sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option
errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.

*** with errors=recover***
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
NTFS-fs warning (device loop1): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot
sector checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot
sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs warning (device loop1): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot
sector checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Could not find a
valid backup boot sector.
NTFS-fs error (device loop1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.

***bad hdd***
NTFS-fs warning (device sdb): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot sector
checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector
is invalid.
NTFS-fs warning (device sdb): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot sector
checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Could not find a
valid backup boot sector.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.

*badd hdd partition 1***
NTFS-fs warning (device sdb1): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot
sector checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot
sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs warning (device sdb1): is_boot_sector_ntfs(): Invalid boot
sector checksum.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Could not find a
valid backup boot sector.
NTFS-fs error (device sdb1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.

I also tried scrounge-ntfs and it tells that the whole disk is a
partition. I think the disk had at least two partitions.

..KS.

Jochen Schulz wrote:
> KS:
>> root(a)sysresccd /root % mount -o loop -t iso9660
>
> Why do you mount the dump file from ddrescue as ISO image? Doesn't the
> subject say it should actually contain an NTFS filesystem? I am
> surprised that this actually works.

I tried with ntfs flag too and it doesn't mount anything. Rather gives
errors. See my other reply in the thread.

>> /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso /mnt/cdrom
>> root(a)sysresccd /root % ls /mnt/cdrom
>> 〰〹 䝎䑒噌慮?湩㬱
>
> Do you expect this kind of characters or is it just "garbage" (from your
> point if view)?

Yes, it is garbage.

>> Any advice on how to proceed from here? Or can someone suggest a better
>> method?
>
> It depends on what you want to achieve. If all you want is to rescue
> personal documents, images and the like, I suggest you to try photorec
> from the testdisk package. It can recover many files of different types
> from otherwise unusable filesystems.
>
> J.

The person has lots of photos, movies, and software backups on the drive.

/KS