From: AG on
Hi

Is there anyway of recovering items that have been deleted by "emptying"
KMail's trash folder?

I suspect not, and certainly the KMail manual suggests that once it's
gone, it's gone. However, ever hopeful, I thought that someone here may
have a trick or two up their sleeve.

Thanks for any advice.

AG

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:27:25 +0100, AG wrote:

> Is there anyway of recovering items that have been deleted by "emptying"
> KMail's trash folder?
>
> I suspect not, and certainly the KMail manual suggests that once it's
> gone, it's gone. However, ever hopeful, I thought that someone here may
> have a trick or two up their sleeve.

It will depend on the filesystem... and a bit of luck.

You can give PhotoRec¹ a try, which is included in SystemRescue CD².

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoRec
² http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SystemRescueCD

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:27:25 +0100, AG wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway of recovering items that have been deleted by "emptying"
>> KMail's trash folder?
>>
>> I suspect not, and certainly the KMail manual suggests that once it's
>> gone, it's gone. However, ever hopeful, I thought that someone here may
>> have a trick or two up their sleeve.
>
> It will depend on the filesystem... and a bit of luck.
>
> You can give PhotoRec¹ a try, which is included in SystemRescue CD².
>
> ¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoRec
> ² http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SystemRescueCD

PhotoRec is also available from debian as part of the testdisk
package.
--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org

On 07/12/2010 08:27 AM, AG wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there anyway of recovering items that have been deleted by "emptying"
> KMail's trash folder?
>
> I suspect not, and certainly the KMail manual suggests that once it's
> gone, it's gone. However, ever hopeful, I thought that someone here may
> have a trick or two up their sleeve.

If you're a typical home desktop user and KMail acts like
Tbird/Nutscrape/Evo then all of a folder's emails are stored in 1
mbox file.

When you compress that file (i.e., empty the folder), the MUA copies
the "active" messages into a new mbox file, unlinks the old mbox
file and then renames the new mbox file to the old name.

So, if you dismounted that partition *very* soon afterwards (to
prevent anything else from possibly overwriting that area of disk,
then it's possible to recover that file using tools others have
mentioned.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Friday 16 July 2010 22:25:44 Ron Johnson wrote:
> If you're a typical home desktop user and KMail acts like
> Tbird/Nutscrape/Evo then all of a folder's emails are stored in 1
> mbox file.

By default, KMail doesn't. It uses maildir, and stores each email
individually.

Lisi