From: Dotan Cohen on
Is there a way to redirect stdout to a file without clobbering its
possibly-existing contents? Rather, the output should be appended to
the end of the file. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On 6 May 2010 19:31, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday(a)crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com>:
>
>> Is there a way to redirect stdout to a file without clobbering its
>> possibly-existing contents? Rather, the output should be appended to
>> the end of the file. Thanks.
>
>  use ">>" instead of ">".
>
> rday

Great, thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Quoting Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com>:

> Is there a way to redirect stdout to a file without clobbering its
> possibly-existing contents? Rather, the output should be appended to
> the end of the file. Thanks.

use ">>" instead of ">".

rday

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:26:30PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there a way to redirect stdout to a file without clobbering its
> possibly-existing contents? Rather, the output should be appended to
> the end of the file. Thanks.

The double > (>>) operator?

I'd also recommend that you check out tee and tee -a.

Kumar
--
Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer!
-- Soenke Lange <soenke(a)escher.north.de>

> The double > (>>) operator?

Yes!

> I'd also recommend that you check out tee and tee -a.

Nice, that's not what I need here, but I do have use for it in a
script that's been giving me trouble if it will output to a shell
variable. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com