From: RoseW on
I posted earlier asking about what might happen removing Xp and the dual
boot screen.
I didn't print that info out and take it with me to the repair shop. A
'shoulda done' situation <grin>
I did verbalize the commands for editing that were listed in the replies
to my query to the computer person.
BUT that wasn't info that he had in his list of things to do....nothing
he did worked which included going through the repair dialog choices.
He had a utility that allowed him to look at the Xp directory and there
was a Boot listing there. In the disk management the Win7 drive was
listed as the boot drive.
Before I realized fully what he was doing the Xp drive was reformatted
and now the system really wouldn't boot. THAT was exactly the info
relayed here and I was speechless.
BUT
I had made an image using the Windows utility and it was stored on an
external drive. It included both Win7 and the Xp drive.That image would
not copy completely. It went through all the motions and then produced a
pop up box that it was not completed successfully.
SO....4 hours later it was a complete reinstall which copied the
original Win7 to be the old-win copy.
The computer and user name was typed in differently and whether that has
anything to do with or not but I had to take ownership of all files and
folders in the separate data drive. Only folders of images would allow
me access. The homegroup had to be set up again between 2 Win7 computers
and this main machine will not hold the homegroup settings.

One factor that has the software reinstall be less painless is being
able to copy the related folders from the Appdata in the old copy and
insert into the operating Win7. The software installed included e-mail
with all configurations present and operating.

He didn't charge me for this adventure but I concluded I might as well
have had more courage and fumbled through it myself. I regret doing the
dual boot set-up. Its a cleaner install without an additional operating
system and there is access to any files from the old copy.

Bottom line its crucial to know exactly what you are doing setting up a
dual boot structure with Win7.....and remember that restore points are
lost in Win.

Rose

From: Dennis Pack on
Rose:
I'm glad to hear that you finally got the system up and running
after this induced condition caused by a technician (?) that you paid. If
you get into a situation that you need to dual boot with an older operating
system, the easiest way is to backup all data or make an image of the
current operating system then verify that they are installed in order of age
(that eliminates losing the ability to boot the operating systems). Losing
the restore points can be eliminated following the following support article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185. Using VistaBootPro or EasyBCD can
assist in naming each operating system on the dual/multiple boot screen.
Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4677 (20091210) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: RoseW on
On 12/11/2009 12:01 AM, Dennis Pack wrote:
> Rose:
> I'm glad to hear that you finally got the system up and running after
> this induced condition caused by a technician (?) that you paid. If you
> get into a situation that you need to dual boot with an older operating
> system, the easiest way is to backup all data or make an image of the
> current operating system then verify that they are installed in order of
> age (that eliminates losing the ability to boot the operating systems).
> Losing the restore points can be eliminated following the following
> support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185. Using
> VistaBootPro or EasyBCD can assist in naming each operating system on
> the dual/multiple boot screen. Have a great day.

No he didn't charge...even though me and the machine were there for 4
hours. He's a sensible guy in a small town environment even if he is the
only guy in town <grin>

When I used the Windows 7 imaging facility there was no opportunity to
just choose Win 7. Both xp and win7 were checked and grayed out. What I
learned from my first imaging situation is that one never knows if the
imaged copy is useable.....until its put to use.

I might have been one of his first Windows 7 installs. Since then he is
advising people to just go with the routine of having the old system
copied.

Its a major snow storm here for the past 24 hours so not much else to do
but redo the set up <grin>

Rose