From: Johann Spies on
Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated. It is not
doing the job any more on squeeze.

'/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
/etc/network/interfaces.

So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4599

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall
find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
Matthew 7:7

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 05:43:18PM +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:15:35AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated. It is not
> > doing the job any more on squeeze.
> >
> > '/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
> > network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?
>
> Why not use 'auto <interface>' before each interface definition?

I removed it because of this documentation from the Debian Reference Manual:
=====================
"Here is how to use the ifplugd package for the internal Ethernet port,
e.g. eth0.

1. Remove stanza in "/etc/network/interfaces": "auto eth0" or "allow-hotplug eth0".
2. Keep stanza in "/etc/network/interfaces": "iface eth0 inet �" and "mapping �".
3. Install the ifplugd package.
4. Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd".
5. Put eth0 as the "static interfaces to be watched by ifplugd".
===================

I did now put the 'auto eth0:0' back and did reboot the system. This
time eth0:0 came up.

Regards
Johann

Johann Spies <jspies(a)sun.ac.za> writes:

>Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated. It is not
>doing the job any more on squeeze.

>'/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
>/etc/network/interfaces.

>So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
>network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?

One way is to stop using the long-deprecated interface aliases and
instead add secondary addresses to the single interface:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
up ip addr add W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE
down ip addr del W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE

That way, you can let ifplugd start eth0, and the above commands will
add/remove the additional IP address you had set up on eth0:0

The ip(8) command is in the iproute package.

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 23:45 +0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:

> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> up ip addr add W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE
> down ip addr del W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE

Cool - I hadn't realised the $IFACE variable was available there :-)
I see there are others too.

Thanks,
Richard

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 11:45:24PM -0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:

> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> up ip addr add W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE
> down ip addr del W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE
>
> That way, you can let ifplugd start eth0, and the above commands will
> add/remove the additional IP address you had set up on eth0:0

Thanks! This is useful information.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4599

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not
unto thine own understanding."
Proverbs 3:5

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2