From: Celejar on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:47:57 -0600
Paul E Condon <pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I'm lurking here, hoping to learn useful stuff about hard drive
> software... What is NCQ? (in this context, of course) What is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

Celejar

Paul E Condon put forth on 7/1/2010 6:47 PM:

> I'm lurking here, hoping to learn useful stuff about hard drive
> software... What is NCQ? (in this context, of course) What is
> "ATA_NCQ_HORKAGE list"? The only hit that I get on this string in Google
> is a link to this email to which I am responding. TIA

I probably mistyped it Paul. Let's see...

It's actually "ATA_HORKAGE_NONCQ". Google that.

--
Stan

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > software... What is NCQ? (in this context, of course) What is

A way to have various requests "in flight" and let the disk itself order
them to get "better" performance. Whether it helps performance or not
depends on the IO workload, the kind of device, and the quality of the NCQ
firmware in the device.

> > "ATA_NCQ_HORKAGE list"? The only hit that I get on this string in Google

It is a blacklist for defective products that misbehave when NCQ is
enabled, or which have such a poor excuse of an NCQ implementation that one
should never enable it.

Henrique Holschuh

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh put forth on 7/2/2010 9:24 PM:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> software... What is NCQ? (in this context, of course) What is
>
> A way to have various requests "in flight" and let the disk itself order
> them to get "better" performance. Whether it helps performance or not
> depends on the IO workload, the kind of device, and the quality of the NCQ
> firmware in the device.
>
>>> "ATA_NCQ_HORKAGE list"? The only hit that I get on this string in Google
>
> It is a blacklist for defective products that misbehave when NCQ is
> enabled, or which have such a poor excuse of an NCQ implementation that one
> should never enable it.

You mangled your quoting. I didn't ask these questions, another OP did. I
answered them. Or, at least, someone else answered the first and I answered
the second. And again, it's not "ATA_NCQ_HORKAGE" but rather
"ATA_HORKAGE_NONCQ". No real foul. I'm just correcting the record for the
various archives.

--
Stan

On 20100702_235713, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh put forth on 7/2/2010 9:24 PM:
> >
> > A way to have various requests "in flight" and let the disk itself order
> > them to get "better" performance. Whether it helps performance or not
> > depends on the IO workload, the kind of device, and the quality of the NCQ
> > firmware in the device.

I was involved in this confusion at an earlier stage. I'm still
confused: What, exactly, do I type into Google to gain a URL of this
resource? Does it REALLY involve HORKAGE with an "H"? And
underscores? Presumably this is a well know resource. But only to
those who already know, and not to me.

TIA