From: Timothy Wu on
Hi,

This seems like an easy problem but I've searched all over without explicit
solution.

I'm fiddling with a computer which I've not turn on for a while. My ethernet
interface which comes with the motherboard did not appear (not with ifconfig
-a), so I plugged in another ethernet card and now it shows on ifconfig -a.
But LAN connection is still not working. I noticed that eth0 is down and
tries "ifup eth0" and it says "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested
address" twice and "failed to bring up eth0".

I donno what the problem is. The /etc/network/networking script was a
working script before.

dmesg | grep "eth0" shows nothing alarming. It says RealTek RTL8139
something something IRQ 20 Identified 8139 chip type blah blah.

What can I do to get it back on?

Timothy
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-13 23:10, Timothy Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This seems like an easy problem but I've searched all over without
> explicit solution.
>
> I'm fiddling with a computer which I've not turn on for a while. My
> ethernet interface which comes with the motherboard did not appear (not
> with ifconfig -a),

What did dmesg and /var/log/syslog indicate?

> so I plugged in another ethernet card and now it
> shows on ifconfig -a. But LAN connection is still not working. I noticed
> that eth0 is down and tries "ifup eth0" and it says "SIOCSIFFLAGS:
> Cannot assign requested address" twice and "failed to bring up eth0".
>
> I donno what the problem is. The /etc/network/networking script was a
> working script before.
>
> dmesg | grep "eth0" shows nothing alarming. It says RealTek RTL8139
> something something IRQ 20 Identified 8139 chip type blah blah.
>
> What can I do to get it back on?

Googling the complete error message seems to indicate that the
proper driver module did not get loaded.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:10:25 +0800
Timothy Wu <2huggie(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This seems like an easy problem but I've searched all over without
> explicit solution.
>
> I'm fiddling with a computer which I've not turn on for a while. My
> ethernet interface which comes with the motherboard did not appear
> (not with ifconfig -a), so I plugged in another ethernet card and now
> it shows on ifconfig -a. But LAN connection is still not working. I
> noticed that eth0 is down and tries "ifup eth0" and it says
> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address" twice and "failed to
> bring up eth0".
>
> I donno what the problem is. The /etc/network/networking script was a
> working script before.
>
> dmesg | grep "eth0" shows nothing alarming. It says RealTek RTL8139
> something something IRQ 20 Identified 8139 chip type blah blah.
>
> What can I do to get it back on?
>
> Timothy

It is possible that there is a conflict with the onboard eithernet card
and the addon card. Disable the onboard card from the CMOS setup and
see if this problem persists.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> It is possible that there is a conflict with the onboard eithernet card
> and the addon card. Disable the onboard card from the CMOS setup and
> see if this problem persists.

> listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100314114248.2881777f(a)gmail.com

I checked and I find it already disabled! No wonder my onboard LAN interface
was not working. Someone must have changed the LAN setting inadvertently.

So, I didn't directly fix the problem, but since my onboard LAN is working
now, I simply pull out the add on card and it works perfectly. :)