From: ABSDoug on
--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater(a)galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Think :) - This is by design, particularly if you consider
> the use of network install media.

Yep, that's what got me thinking... if I plug the Ethernet cord in BEFORE booting up, what happens then? Problem solved!

> 1. Rare case now - you have no network at all. All
> installation must be done from CDs / DVDs. The apt sources
> list points to the DVD install media by default (You have
> nothing else, right?).

No. As I wrote: (bold added)

If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & AFTER you boot up, plug in your Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. --> IF YOU PLUG IN ETHERNET *BEFORE* YOU BOOT UP IT (Package Manager) WILL LOOK ONLINE FOR SOFTWARE <--

Don't mean to shout, but I was clearly not clear! A few people didn't understand what I meant.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM, ABSDoug <absdoug(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & AFTER you boot up, plug in your
> Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. -->
> IF YOU PLUG IN ETHERNET *BEFORE* YOU BOOT UP IT (Package Manager) WILL LOOK
> ONLINE FOR SOFTWARE <--
>
> Don't mean to shout, but I was clearly not clear! A few people didn't
> understand what I meant.

All modifiable in under 1 minute via /etc/apt/sources.list, for future
reference.
From: ABSDoug on
--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

All modifiable in under 1 minute via /etc/apt/sources.list, for future reference.

That is what I read, was on my way to doing that & said to myself, I wonder if I put the Ethernet cord in 1st... yeah sources.list, been reading it's the same as adding to "Software Sources", but faster if you know what you're doing.