From: peasthope on
* Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:41:29 -0400 (EDT)
* From: Stephen Powell <zlinuxma.(a)wowway.co.>
> Please consider a reinstall first.

Done, using the Squeeze Alpha1 installer CD snagged at 2010-05-27.
Keeping the home partition intact is a helpful capability.
Thanks, but see following.

The monitor complaining about the undefined video mode
gave no display at all on another machine. The NetVista
now has a working monitor. One problem solved.

X still failed with these being the last lines to the screen.
waiting for X server to shut down ...error setting MTRR (base = 0xf8000000, size
= 0x09000000, type = 1) Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)

While blundering yesterday evening I realized that X
works for root! Made a new test account and X works
there also.

I began removing ~/.* files and retrying startx. The
last two removed were .Xauthority and .xinitrc.
X then worked. X was broken before .xinitrc was added
and .xinitrc now contained only comments. So .Xauthority
appears to have disabled X.

As I understand, hidden configuration files were invented
in the days of teletype machines to make the output of
ls tolerable. Now there are hidden directories with
dozens of hidden files in total. I can't help but wonder
about the wisdom. A hidden file disabling X with no
indication in Xorg.0.log seems bad.

Thanks for the help Stephen,

... Peter E.

--
Carnot is down, waiting for a disk replacement.
Personal site works; http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .