From: Todd A. Jacobs on
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:42:13PM -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> I get nothing. Why can I write to a value in sysfs that can't be
> accessed with sysctl? And more importantly, how am I supposed to do this
> at boot without sysctl.conf?

Two quick answers, but a remaining question. The default governor
can be set in /etc/default/cpufrequtils, and can be changed with:

sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand

which probably just does the same thing as echoing to the right key in
sysfs.

However, I still don't understand why I can't set it with sysctl. What's
up with that?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:42:13 +0100, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam(a)codegnome.org>
wrote:

> I'd like to set my scaling governor in /etc/sysctl.conf, rather than by
> echoing a value to:
>
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> However, I'm not finding a key for it via the sysctl utility. When I
> run:
>
> sysctl -a | fgrep -i cpu
>
> I get nothing. Why can I write to a value in sysfs that can't be
> accessed with sysctl? And more importantly, how am I supposed to do this
> at boot without sysctl.conf?

I use sysfs.conf:

#grep demand /etc/sysfs.conf
devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor = ondemand

--
Regards,

Tilo

"Tilo Schwarz" <tilo(a)tilo-schwarz.de> writes:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:42:13 +0100, Todd A. Jacobs
> <nospam(a)codegnome.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to set my scaling governor in /etc/sysctl.conf, rather than by
>> echoing a value to:
>>
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>
>> However, I'm not finding a key for it via the sysctl utility. When I
>> run:
>>
>> sysctl -a | fgrep -i cpu
>>
>> I get nothing. Why can I write to a value in sysfs that can't be
>> accessed with sysctl? And more importantly, how am I supposed to do this
>> at boot without sysctl.conf?
>>

> I use sysfs.conf:
>
> #grep demand /etc/sysfs.conf
> devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor = ondemand

If you have the cpufrequtils package installed, then just edit
/etc/defaults/cpufrequtils to specify which you want at boot.
--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:26:40PM -0800, Carl Johnson wrote:

> If you have the cpufrequtils package installed, then just edit
> /etc/defaults/cpufrequtils to specify which you want at boot.

The /etc/defaults/cpufrequtils file over-rides the value (if any) in
/etc/sysfs.conf, but I think it's important to know that values can be
set there, too.

Thanks for the help.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:26:40 +0100, Carl Johnson <carlj(a)peak.org> wrote:

> "Tilo Schwarz" <tilo(a)tilo-schwarz.de> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:42:13 +0100, Todd A. Jacobs
>> <nospam(a)codegnome.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to set my scaling governor in /etc/sysctl.conf, rather than by
>>> echoing a value to:
>>>
>>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>>
>>> However, I'm not finding a key for it via the sysctl utility. When I
>>> run:
>>>
>>> sysctl -a | fgrep -i cpu
>>>
>>> I get nothing. Why can I write to a value in sysfs that can't be
>>> accessed with sysctl? And more importantly, how am I supposed to do
>>> this
>>> at boot without sysctl.conf?
>>>

>> I use sysfs.conf:
>>
>> #grep demand /etc/sysfs.conf
>> devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor = ondemand
>
> If you have the cpufrequtils package installed, then just edit
> /etc/defaults/cpufrequtils to specify which you want at boot.

I don't have the cpufrequtils package installed.

--
Regards,

Tilo