From: John Culleton on
I installed Knoppix, a Debian derivative, on my stepson's
computer. Everything runs fine. But the screen background does
not cover the entire area of his flat screen monitor which
measures roughly 17 1/2 inches x 9 7/8 inches. The bottom button
bar extends all the way to the left but stops at the right edge of
the screen background.

Do I need to fiddle with xorg.conf or is there another way to correct
the dimensions of the screen image?

A similar installation on an HP Pavillion laptop with a more
squarish screen has no such problem.

I ask here because my message to the Knoppix list has not yet
appeared.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

On Ma, 01 iun 10, 22:33:26, John Culleton wrote:

> I ask here because my message to the Knoppix list has not yet
> appeared.

I assume you missed my reply [1] to your previous message so I am CCing
you now.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/05/msg02551.html

Regards,
Andrei
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 02:49:18 you wrote:
> On Ma, 01 iun 10, 22:33:26, John Culleton wrote:
> > I ask here because my message to the Knoppix list has not
yet
> > appeared.
>
> I assume you missed my reply [1] to your previous message so I
am CCing
> you now.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/05/msg02551.html
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
Thanks for your reply. I used Knoppix because it was very easy to
install and came with a lot of useful software already, such as
Open Office. The install program is called 0wn which stands for
zero work needed. My earlier experiences with e.g. Kubuntu were a
pain, menu after menu after menu and little control over the disk
partitioning. With Knoppix all I had to do was run cfdisk and then
0wn. I have posted the items you requested on my website:
http://wexfordpress.com/xorg.conf
and
http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log
and
http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log.old

Another person might have a different experience. But when I
popped a Knoppix disk in my wife's laptop and got a wireless
connect with no grief I was sold. Don't mess with success is my
motto.

On 06/02/2010 10:04 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I used Knoppix because it was very easy to
> install and came with a lot of useful software already, such as
> Open Office. The install program is called 0wn which stands for
> zero work needed. My earlier experiences with e.g. Kubuntu were a
> pain, menu after menu after menu and little control over the disk
> partitioning. With Knoppix all I had to do was run cfdisk and then
> 0wn. I have posted the items you requested on my website:
> http://wexfordpress.com/xorg.conf
> and
> http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log
> and
> http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log.old
>
> Another person might have a different experience. But when I
> popped a Knoppix disk in my wife's laptop and got a wireless
> connect with no grief I was sold. Don't mess with success is my
> motto.

Knoppix has its own list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/ . Have
you tried Debian and the Debian installer?
From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2010 02:49:18 you wrote:
>> On Ma, 01 iun 10, 22:33:26, John Culleton wrote:
>>> I ask here because my message to the Knoppix list has not
> yet
>>> appeared.
>> I assume you missed my reply [1] to your previous message so I
> am CCing
>> you now.
>>
>> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/05/msg02551.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrei
> Thanks for your reply. I used Knoppix because it was very easy to
> install and came with a lot of useful software already, such as
> Open Office. The install program is called 0wn which stands for
> zero work needed. My earlier experiences with e.g. Kubuntu were a
> pain, menu after menu after menu and little control over the disk
> partitioning. With Knoppix all I had to do was run cfdisk and then
> 0wn. I have posted the items you requested on my website:
> http://wexfordpress.com/xorg.conf
> and
> http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log
> and
> http://wexfordpress.com/Xorg.0.log.old
>
> Another person might have a different experience. But when I
> popped a Knoppix disk in my wife's laptop and got a wireless
> connect with no grief I was sold. Don't mess with success is my
> motto.

Which version of Knoppix is that 6.2.1?

Hugo