From: Adrián Ribao Martínez on
Hello,

We are about to buy a Fujitsu server:

* Fujitsu Primergy RX300

and I'd like to know if someone has experience with it. I'm afraid that The server is not supported by debian. They don't list debian in the supported OS and there are no drivers for this server.

Thank you for your help,

Adrian
From: Javier Barroso on
Hi,
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Adrián Ribao Martínez <aribao(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are about to buy a Fujitsu server:
>
> * Fujitsu Primergy RX300
>
> and I'd like to know if someone has experience with it. I'm afraid that The
> server is not supported by debian. They don't list debian in the supported
> OS and there are no drivers for this server.

We have a etch system running xen in this server, and works fine
# lshw | head -4 && cat /etc/debian_version
rx30001
product: PRIMERGY RX300 S3
vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
4.0

I don't known if latter RX300 versions works too ..

Regards,
From: Adrián Ribao Martínez on
Thank you very much Javier,

We don't need virtualization in the server, I suppose it's the same and everything works ok.

Do you have a RAID controller in the system?

Thank you.

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Adri�n Ribao Mart�nez put forth on 6/7/2010 7:10 AM:
> Thank you very much Javier,
>
> We don't need virtualization in the server, I suppose it's the same and everything works ok.
>
> Do you have a RAID controller in the system?

According to this:
https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds_prim-rx300_s4.pdf

Fujitsu uses the LSI MegaRAID series controllers, all of which are supported
by the standard Linux kernel either by megaraid.c or megaraid_sas.c.

The Broadcom BCM5708 GigE chip is supported by the standard Linux kernel.

IPMI, I2C, etc are supported by Linux, and Debian. Some of these will
probably require manual setup/configuration--it won't be done automatically
during Debian install.

If _you_ know Debian, and Linux in general, you shouldn't have a problem
running it on this server. It appears all the subsystem components are
industry standard fare supported by Linux. Again, you may have to
install/configure some of the user space tools manually.

--
Stan

Thank you very much for your help.