From: Ogya Chief on

Hi All,

I am have a Toshiba Satelite LD300 laptop with the AR5001 wifi card. I installed Sueeze on it and the two things that I cannot get to work are the wireless card and a Hewlett-Parkard laserjet P1005 printer. I have search for solutions on the internet but so far I have not found any that addresses my problems. For example I went to Madwifi site but most of the links are broken; I tried to use NDISWraper but I could not find the .inf file for the driver. Any suggestion as to what to do to get this working? ifconfig does not list this interface at all. I installed Lenny first and it listed the interface but upgrading to Squeeze does not.

With the printer, there appears to be a driver that is loaded by CUPS but the printer would not print. I understand that the printer needs a plug-in for it to work but I do not know what the name of the plug-in is or where to get it. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Ogya

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop
From: Sebastian on
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 05:42PM +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Ogya

> I am have a Toshiba Satelite LD300 laptop with the AR5001 wifi card. I
> installed Sueeze on it and the two things that I cannot get to work are the
> wireless card
...snip...

I have a Fujitsu Esprimo laptop which uses the same Wifi-chipset. It
took me quiet a while to get it working but I succeeded with
madwifi. Wifi works perfectly for me now.

The native linux drivers for the atheros chipset seem to be getting
better all the time but for me they only work for about 1/2h--1h
before I loose connection and have to either reboot or reload all the
wifi-related modules.

So here's what I did (roughly, it's been almost a year now):

When I started off on this journey the current 'testing' kernel
(squeeze) was version 2.6.18 (or 2.6.26, I'm not sure). I think the
first time around I got it working by just installing madwifi-source
(from the non-free branch of the debian repositories) and
module-assistant ('apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant'
as root, let apt-get install whatever it says needs to be installed)
and then building and installing the modules with 'm-a prepare, m-a
a-i madwifi' (you'll probably have to run these as root as well). Also
I have to say that I'm not sure if the madwifi-(source|tools|modules)
are still in the testing-repositories as I use apt-pinning (testing,
stable, unstable).

As I was saying above I'm still running kernel 2.6.26 (which is ok
because it has all the functionality I need for now - and much more)
which is due to the fact that I just never got to get the
madwifi-modules to build properly on any later releases (I'm only
using the debian repositories). So if you're running a later release I
think you might be in for a little bit more trouble.

I'm running a custom-built kernel now, this because at some stage the
module-assistant refused to build the madwifi-modules for me. Can't
remember why, think the madwifi-source was just getting too "old" for
the newer kernels. But it works like a charm with 2.6.26 for me.

Also I think there might be different AR5001-Chipsets, as:
aku(a)hexbrex:~$ lspci |grep -i ath
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 04)
^^^^^^

Hope that gave you a bit of a starting point.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheerio

Sebi

--
By the yard, life is hard.
By the inch, it's a cinch.

> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 01:58:36 +0000
> From: levi.vibes(a)gmail.com
> To: debian-user(a)lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Setting up Atheros Ar5001 wifi
>
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 05:42PM +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> Hi Ogya
>
> > I am have a Toshiba Satelite LD300 laptop with the AR5001 wifi card. I
> > installed Sueeze on it and the two things that I cannot get to work are the
> > wireless card
> ...snip...

Thanks Sebi for you reply.

Unfortunately, madwifi-(source|tools|modules) are not in the testing repositories.
In the absence of them what are my options. Backports? I see that they are in etch
and lenny. Do I have to downgrade my installation in order to get it working?

> Also I think there might be different AR5001-Chipsets, as:
> aku(a)hexbrex:~$ lspci |grep -i ath
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
> Wireless Network Adapter (rev 04)
> ^^^^^^

The output of lspci |grep -i ath is the following:
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Regards,
Ogya

Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop
From: Sebastian on

> > > I am have a Toshiba Satelite LD300 laptop with the AR5001 wifi card. I
> > > installed Sueeze on it and the two things that I cannot get to work are the
> > > wireless card
> > ...snip...
> >

> Thanks Sebi for you reply.
>
> Unfortunately, madwifi-(source|tools|modules) are not in the testing
> repositories.
> In the absence of them what are my options. Backports? I see that they are in
> etch
> and lenny. Do I have to downgrade my installation in order to get it working?

No there's no need to downgrade the whole system. You could go for
apt-pinning, which essentially means that you'll fetch the
package-lists from various releases (testing, stable, unstable) and
configure apt to "prefer" one of them so that when you install/upgrade
it automagically choses the distro you prefer but you'll see all the
available packages in your synaptics/aptitude/apt-get-lists. This is
achieved by: 1. add the relevant repositories to your
/etc/apt/sources.list (e.g. add the "stable" or "lenny" repositories,
also make sure you have the non-free branches included as that's where
the madwifi-* packages reside), then change the file
/etc/apt/preferences (create it if it doesn't exist yet) to something
like this:

aku(a)hexbrex:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 650

the above entries basically tell apt-get & Co. to prefer the testing
versions of any package over the stable ones (the higher
"Pin-Priorities" are the preferred ones). But it'll be able to "see"
all the packages from all the releases included in your sources.list.
Then run 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' or whatever other way
you use to update your package-cache. Now you should be able to
install madwifi et al.

There's also a bit of configuration to be done in
/etc/modprobe.d/madwifi, uncomment the line:
blacklist ath5k

and comment out all the lines below
## madwifi (non-free)

Hope that helps

> > Also I think there might be different AR5001-Chipsets, as:
> > aku(a)hexbrex:~$ lspci |grep -i ath
> > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
> > Wireless Network Adapter (rev 04)
> >
> The output of lspci |grep -i ath is the following:
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
> Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I hope the differences between the revisions aren't too big - I assume
the native linux ath*-drivers probably won't work for you either. Or
did anybody have much luck going down that route? I'd much prefer to
be using free drivers if possible.

Good Luck

Sebi

--
Four thousand different MAGNATES, MOGULS & NABOBS are romping in my
gothic solarium!!

> Da
> No there's no need to downgrade the whole system. You could go for
> apt-pinning, which essentially means that you'll fetch the
> package-lists from various releases (testing, stable, unstable) and
> configure apt to "prefer" one of them so that when you install/upgrade
> it automagically choses the distro you prefer but you'll see all the
> available packages in your synaptics/aptitude/apt-get-lists. This is
> achieved by: 1. add the relevant repositories to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list (e.g. add the "stable" or "lenny" repositories,
> also make sure you have the non-free branches included as that's where
> the madwifi-* packages reside), then change the file
> /etc/apt/preferences (create it if it doesn't exist yet) to something
> like this:
>
> aku(a)hexbrex:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 650
>
> the above entries basically tell apt-get & Co. to prefer the testing
> versions of any package over the stable ones (the higher
> "Pin-Priorities" are the preferred ones). But it'll be able to "see"
> all the packages from all the releases included in your sources.list.
> Then run 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' or whatever other way
> you use to update your package-cache. Now you should be able to
> install madwifi et al.
>
> There's also a bit of configuration to be done in
> /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi, uncomment the line:
> blacklist ath5k
>
> and comment out all the lines below
> ## madwifi (non-free)
>
> Hope that helps

Hi Sebi,

I have done as you indicated in your email but now the wireless card is
not even detected after a restart. Could you show me how my interface
configuration file should look like.