From: Big Jim on
When I make a change to an excel document and try to save it I get a msg
that said your changes could not be saved because of a sharing violation.
Try saving to a different file. Why is this happening? I am new to
windows 7 and this never happened on XP

Jim S

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Big Jim" <jimnospam(a)qwest.net> wrote in message
> When I make a change to an excel document and try to save it I get a msg
> that said your changes could not be saved because of a sharing violation.
> Try saving to a different file. Why is this happening? I am new to
> windows 7 and this never happened on XP

Try an Excel NG? I don't think this is a 64bit issue.

FWIW this happens to my mother too. In her case she is still using floppy
disks for her file management and always opens them from an Explorer window,
so I suspect it is either the slowness of the device or the fact that she
has two references to the file open at the same time, e.g. one in the
Explorer window and one in Excel. Apparently the way Excel works is it
saves the file with a temporary name, then it tries to delete the existing
file, then it renames the temporary file to the existing filename. So it
is probably at step 2 of that procedure where the failure is occurring.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Carlos on
Hi,
Maybe because you are trying to save your file to a shared folder in which
you don't have the proper permissions.
Try saving it to a local drive instead.
Carlos