From: Todd A. Jacobs on
Is there some functionality in apt-cache or aptitude for displaying
recommended files, other than having to visually parse the output of
"apt-cache show"?

Basically, I'd just like to get a list of recommended packages from a
list of installed or prospective packages without having to use the
aptitude GUI.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

On Lu, 21 iun 10, 13:27:47, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> Is there some functionality in apt-cache or aptitude for displaying
> recommended files, other than having to visually parse the output of
> "apt-cache show"?

apt-cache depends <package>

also shows the recommended packages.

> Basically, I'd just like to get a list of recommended packages from a
> list of installed or prospective packages without having to use the
> aptitude GUI.

Maybe grep-dctrl (package dctrl-tools) can help with this.

Regards,
Andrei
On 21/06/10 14:20, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 21 iun 10, 13:27:47, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>> Is there some functionality in apt-cache or aptitude for displaying
>> recommended files, other than having to visually parse the output of
>> "apt-cache show"?
>
> apt-cache depends <package>
>
> also shows the recommended packages.
>
>> Basically, I'd just like to get a list of recommended packages from a
>> list of installed or prospective packages without having to use the
>> aptitude GUI.
>
> Maybe grep-dctrl (package dctrl-tools) can help with this.

aptitude search '?reverse-recommends(^package$)'

The ^ and $ are needed because we want an exact match on the package,
and aptitude expects a regular expression.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Monday 21 June 2010 12:27:47 Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> Is there some functionality in apt-cache or aptitude for displaying
> recommended files, other than having to visually parse the output of
> "apt-cache show"?

If you can handle the *curses interface of aptitude do:
1. Execute 'aptitude'.
2. Press Ctrl+T.
3. Use left/right to navigate to "Views".
4. Use up/down to navigate to "Audit Recommendations".

This shows anything recommended but not installed. By using up/down to
highlight a particular recommendation, you can see why it is recommended in
the bottom pane.

Aptitude does this (mostly) with a package limit, and we can easily see what
it is. Press 'l'. This allows you to edit the package limit, but it shows
the current one so we can note it. "!~v!~i~RBrecommends:~i"

With this magic string, we can get much of this data from the command line.
Simply issuing (aptitude search '!~v!~i~RBrecommends:~i') from the shell will
basically give us the data in the top frame.

For any particular package in that list (e.g. policykit-gnome), you can also
determine why it would be recommended from the command line. Simply issuing
(aptitude why '~i' 'policykit-gnome') will give the "most installed,
strongest, tightest, shortest" reason to install that package, which should be
a recommendation. Try (aptitude -v why '~i' 'policykit-gnome') for other
interesting results.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Greg Madden on
On Tuesday 22 June 2010 08:34:57 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2010 12:27:47 Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > Is there some functionality in apt-cache or aptitude for displaying
> > recommended files, other than having to visually parse the output of
> > "apt-cache show"?
>
> If you can handle the *curses interface of aptitude do:
> 1. Execute 'aptitude'.
> 2. Press Ctrl+T.
> 3. Use left/right to navigate to "Views".
> 4. Use up/down to navigate to "Audit Recommendations".
>
> This shows anything recommended but not installed. By using up/down to
> highlight a particular recommendation, you can see why it is recommended in
> the bottom pane.
>
> Aptitude does this (mostly) with a package limit, and we can easily see
> what it is. Press 'l'. This allows you to edit the package limit, but it
> shows the current one so we can note it. "!~v!~i~RBrecommends:~i"
>
> With this magic string, we can get much of this data from the command line.
> Simply issuing (aptitude search '!~v!~i~RBrecommends:~i') from the shell
> will basically give us the data in the top frame.
>
> For any particular package in that list (e.g. policykit-gnome), you can
> also determine why it would be recommended from the command line. Simply
> issuing (aptitude why '~i' 'policykit-gnome') will give the "most
> installed, strongest, tightest, shortest" reason to install that package,
> which should be a recommendation. Try (aptitude -v why '~i'
> 'policykit-gnome') for other interesting results.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to migrate from dselect to aptitude.

To do a search in aptitude I use the '/' option. In dselect the search
feature is the same '/', once you enter your search if you keep pressing
the '/' key you cycle through all the matches to the search string.

In aptitude the '/' key brings up the search dialog again and I have to
press three keys to continues the search,
'/' to open search dialog,
'tab' key to select the 'OK' or ''Cancel' button,
then the 'enter' key to find , repeat.

I am wondering if I am missing a feature of aptitude, or if I just need to
learn the new way. ?

--
Peace,

Greg