From: Peter Beck on
On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
> squeeze? have things changed from then??

I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to use
the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the box with
networkmanager 0.8

> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?

absolutely easy. for me at least.

Regards
Peter

Peter Beck wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
>> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
>> squeeze? have things changed from then??
>
> I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to use
> the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the box
> with networkmanager 0.8
>
>> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
>
> absolutely easy. for me at least.

The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated USB modem,
or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
going to need usb_modeswitch.

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> Peter Beck wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
> >> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
> >> squeeze? have things changed from then??
> >
> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to use
> > the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the box
> > with networkmanager 0.8
> >
> >> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
> >
> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
>
> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated USB modem,
> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
> going to need usb_modeswitch.

hi,
thanks all for your replies.
what i can say of my modem is,
its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
distros iv checked so far)

emigrant wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> Peter Beck wrote:

>> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to
>> > use the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the
>> > box with networkmanager 0.8

>> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
>>
>> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated
>> USB modem,
>> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
>> going to need usb_modeswitch.
>>

> hi,
> thanks all for your replies.
> what i can say of my modem is,
> its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
> and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
> distros iv checked so far)

That doesn't really say anything. With the modem plugged in, what is
the result of

`lsusb -v`

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:57 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> emigrant wrote:

> >> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated
> >> USB modem,
> >> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
> >> going to need usb_modeswitch.
> >>

> > hi,
> > thanks all for your replies.
> > what i can say of my modem is,
> > its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
> > and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
> > distros iv checked so far)
>
> That doesn't really say anything. With the modem plugged in, what is
> the result of
>
> `lsusb -v`

lsusb -v

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220
HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
idProduct 0x1003 E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 3
iProduct 2
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 108
bNumInterfaces 4
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 1
bmAttributes 0xe0
Self Powered
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 5
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 2
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 3
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x85 EP 5 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)