From: ABSDoug on
<<< I originally wrote:
I do know I want to stick with "stable" Debian >>>

<<< Someone else wrote:
I my opinion there is no need to do so. Squeeze is close to freeze, soon it will became stable. You better run it. Personally I run it on my EeePC and have (almost) no problems. Advantage of running testing is newer drivers. Also you would not need backports. >>>

<<<Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Agreed. For your netbook Squeeze is the best route. If it makes you feel better though, aside from the fact that Squeeze will be stable in the next 6 months or so (crosses fingers), your old Ubuntu friend is a snapshot of Unstable with some patches and bugfixes.>>>
Thanks a BUNCH for all the responds! If I'm repeating myself, forgive, I'm not sure what you've read so far (had some posting issues, now resolved). I'd like to explain my desire to use Debian stable so as to get some education here, cause I'm confused now. My reason for wanting stable (is it called "Freeze"?) was because of a suggestion on the Ubuntu list. 10.04 UNE has problems with torrents dropping my wireless connection on my Acer Aspire One. My 1st reaction was, how in the WORLD does the Ubuntu *Netbook* Edition (formally "Remix") not work on my *netbook*!? On the Ubuntu list, there was talk about the 6-month release schedule, talk of Ubuntu being based on "unstable" Debian & that the answer might be Debian stable if you don't want problems. This was the 1st time I had heard of "stable" & "unstable", I only knew there was "testing", which I wanted to avoid. Sounded very reasonable, with a name like "stable" & finding out Debian is the SOURCE for
other distros, I'm thinking stable is what you'd use if you don't want to be a "Guinea pig". So I ran right over here. That's what got me here, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to go with unstable "Squeeze", what does that offer over Ubuntu 9.10 (Remix). 9.10 (unlike 10.04) works well on my Acer Aspire One. I remember when Windows 7 testing was being given away & most people I knew installed it right away. I wanted no part of "testing" software having no idea about this stable vs unstable issue. Hoping to get a good education on this! TIA

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 04:55:03PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:

> Thanks a BUNCH for all the responds! If I'm repeating myself, forgive,
> I'm not sure what you've read so far (had some posting issues, now
> resolved). I'd like to explain my desire to use Debian stable so as to
> get some education here, cause I'm confused now. My reason for wanting
> stable (is it called "Freeze"?) was because of a suggestion on the
> Ubuntu list. 10.04 UNE has problems with torrents dropping my wireless
> connection on my Acer Aspire One. My 1st reaction was, how in the
> WORLD does the Ubuntu *Netbook* Edition (formally "Remix") not work on
> my *netbook*!? On the Ubuntu list, there was talk about the 6-month
> release schedule, talk of Ubuntu being based on "unstable" Debian &
> that the answer might be Debian stable if you don't want problems.
> This was the 1st time I had heard of "stable" & "unstable", I only
> knew there was "testing", which I wanted to avoid. Sounded very
> reasonable, with a name like "stable" & finding out Debian is the
> SOURCE for other distros, I'm thinking stable is what you'd use if you
> don't want to be a "Guinea pig". So I ran right over here. That's what
> got me here, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to go with unstable
> "Squeeze", what does that offer over Ubuntu 9.10 (Remix). 9.10 (unlike
> 10.04) works well on my Acer Aspire One. I remember when Windows 7
> testing was being given away & most people I knew installed it right
> away. I wanted no part of "testing" software having no idea about this
> stable vs unstable issue. Hoping to get a good education on this! TIA

You could start by pointing a browser at http://www.debian.org and
following the "available versions of Debian" link in the "Getting
Started" section of the first page.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Jim, it's Grace at the bank. I checked your Christmas Club account.
You don't have five-hundred dollars. You have fifty. Sorry, computer foul-up!
From: Johan Grönqvist on
2010-06-09 01:55, ABSDoug skrev:
> This was the 1st time I had heard of "stab le"& "unstable", I only
> knew there was "testing", which I wanted to avoid. Sounded very
> reasonable, with a name like "stable"& finding out Debian is the
> SOURCE for other distros, I'm thinking stable is what you'd use if
> you don't want to be a "Guinea pig".

A few remarks:

1) Stable in debian means unchanging, and in case you want that kind of
stable, you may as well use the more recent ubuntu 9.10, which seems to
work for you, still has quite a while of support, and should be
unchanging enough for your purposes. Debian stable is good for servers
where one does not want new versions of software that may break the system.

2) For stable as in "not breaking", the reason I use debian testing is
that I find it less prone to breaking than following the 6-month upgrade
cycle of ubuntu.

3) In the choice between debian testing or unstable for a netbook, you
will find people recommending both choices, and I think it will be hard
for you to form your own opinion this early in the learning process.

> now I'm wondering if I'm going to go with
> unstable "Squeeze", what does that offer over Ubuntu 9.10 (Remix).
> 9.10 (unlike 10.04) works well on my Acer Aspire One.

The usual reasonable comment I think more experienced people than me
would often give is:

What do you miss in ubuntu 9.10 (remix) that you want your new system to
provide? If it works well for you, you may continue to use it and be
happy with that.

Debian testing would offer more recent applications in some areas, and a
more recent kernel, which may provide better hardware support, but as
you have experienced with ubuntu 10.04, that is not always the case.

Ubuntu 9.10 has security support until 11.04 (I think). It is also more
recent than debian stable, so it should offer more recent applications
and (on average) be able to support more recent hardware.

I would not expect debian stable from february 09 to improve on your
(seemingly) good netbook-experience with an ubuntu from october 09
unless you have some specific problems with ubuntu 9.10, or have some
specific reason to wish to use debian.

In case there is something missing for you in ubuntu, you may very well
ask if debian can provide that, but a question like "what does debian
stable/testing/unstable offer over ubuntu 9.10 for a netbook" is very
hard to answer without knowing what your needs and/or problems are.

From what I have seen so far, I would recommend ubuntu 9.10 for your
netbook, followed by debian testing or unstable.

Regards

Johan

--- On Wed, 6/9/10, Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>From what I have seen so far, I would recommend ubuntu 9.10 for your netbook, followed by debian testing or unstable.

Thanks so much for your input. I've got madwifi working Debian on my Acer Aspire One. I'm still using "stable" it would seem. I'm gunna play around with this & also stick with Ubuntu 9.10(until Ubuntu 10.04 gets torrents/wireless issue fixed or find I like Debian better)

As for what I'm looking for in an OS... eventually I'd love to be able to install Linux on computers that I maintain for friends, especially their old ones. MS Windows... my friends find new ways of screwing it up! Ubuntu *Netbook* Edition not working on my *Netbook* didn't inspire me to install Ubuntu on a friends computer. I'd rather skip "latest-gratest" for reliability/dependability with just about everything in life, so Debian Stable sounds like my style. We'll see.