From: Sthu Deus on
Thank You for Your time and answer, Arthur:

>Do you have more than one ethernet network card on this computer? If so try
>disabling one. E.g., if you're using a network card, in your bios disable
>the onboard network card. If you're using onboard, remove the network card.
>See if that doesn't resolve the situation.

I have not an NIC but modem - another net dev. The above shown case happens sometimes, not always, but often. Not easy for me to repeat. I just though may I did something wrong configuring my network.

Thank You for Your time and answer, Johannes:

>What's your /etc/network/interfaces ?
>Is there any hotplugging happening?

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
#allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:41:08AM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> $ sudo /sbin/ifdown eth0
> SIOCDELRT: No such process

This generally happens when ifupdown wasn't called to enable the
interface. So, if you configured the interface manually, you might get
that sort of error because ifdown doesn't think it's a managed
interface.

There might be other reasons, too, but that's what I see most often on
my laptop. The easy fix is:

sudo ifconfig eth0 down

which will take the interface down directly, rather than calling
ifupdown.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Thank You for Your time and answer, Todd:

>This generally happens when ifupdown wasn't called to enable the
>interface.

If not through

# /sbin/ifup eth0

then how?