From: Rob Owens on
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:35:38PM +0000, George wrote:
> I'm away from home right now and need VoIP to communicate with my
> loved ones. Skype works, but it's a CPU hog, has an awful GUI, it
> messes up with the soundcard, it's extremely buggy and thus a pain to
> use. I've tried Gizmo, which sorta works but it's unusable because the
> sound is horrible, to the point that you can't tell whether there's a
> human or a malfunctioning robot at the other end. Linphone and Ekiga
> don't work at all.

I use Ekiga on Debian Lenny 64- and 32-bit, and Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit.
What exactly is the problem you're having with it?

-Rob

On 2/11/10, Rob Owens <rowens(a)ptd.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:35:38PM +0000, George wrote:
>> I'm away from home right now and need VoIP to communicate with my
>> loved ones. Skype works, but it's a CPU hog, has an awful GUI, it
>> messes up with the soundcard, it's extremely buggy and thus a pain to
>> use. I've tried Gizmo, which sorta works but it's unusable because the
>> sound is horrible, to the point that you can't tell whether there's a
>> human or a malfunctioning robot at the other end. Linphone and Ekiga
>> don't work at all.
>>
> I use Ekiga on Debian Lenny 64- and 32-bit, and Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit.
> What exactly is the problem you're having with it?

I'm trying to call someone who's on Windows. My call appears to reach
but there's no sound going across. I can hear nothing, they can hear
nothing.

On 2/11/10, Henning Follmann <hfollmann(a)itcfollmann.com> wrote:

> I don't know if that falls into what you are looking for.
> I have a asterisk server running at home and in the office. Localy I
> have SIP phones (CISCO 7XXX) with that.

I've tried reading on asterisk, but I don't understand what half of
the terminology means, and I don't want to know either. All I want is
to launch an application and be able to call, like I used to do with
Google Talk on Windows.

Hi,

perhaps kphone will suit your suggestions

greatings and a nice day

klaus

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:58:55AM +0000, George wrote:
> On 2/11/10, Rob Owens <rowens(a)ptd.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:35:38PM +0000, George wrote:
> >> I'm away from home right now and need VoIP to communicate with my
> >> loved ones. Skype works, but it's a CPU hog, has an awful GUI, it
> >> messes up with the soundcard, it's extremely buggy and thus a pain to
> >> use. I've tried Gizmo, which sorta works but it's unusable because the
> >> sound is horrible, to the point that you can't tell whether there's a
> >> human or a malfunctioning robot at the other end. Linphone and Ekiga
> >> don't work at all.
> >>
> > I use Ekiga on Debian Lenny 64- and 32-bit, and Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit.
> > What exactly is the problem you're having with it?
> >

> I'm trying to call someone who's on Windows. My call appears to reach
> but there's no sound going across. I can hear nothing, they can hear
> nothing.

If one of the parties is behind a static NAT, it will most likely not work.
It's a limitation of the SIP signaling.

--
Henning Follmann | hfollmann(a)itcfollmann.com
it consultant | www.itcfollmann.com