From: Jason Filippou on
Hi,

I've been trying to set my PATH and CLASSPATH environment variables so that
they point to my JDK's bin and some Java source files respectively and this
is what I've written in my .profile file:

# PATH should also include the latest jdk "bin" directory
PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/bin:$PATH"

# set the CLASSPATH variable to include anything I do with java
CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java:$CLASSPATH"

Yet I don't seem to have much luck, since "echoing" both environment
variables gives me the old value of PATH for PATH and nothing for CLASSPATH:

jason(a)debian:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib/eclipse6.0/bin/i386_linux:/home/jason/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
jason(a)debian:~$ echo $CLASSPATH

jason(a)debian:~$

This is strange, especially for PATH, because earlier in my .profile I've
written:

# set PATH so it includes the eclipse bin directory
PATH="/usr/lib/eclipse6.0/bin/i386_linux:$PATH"

And if you notice the output produced by "echo", this directory is well
under the scope of PATH.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to "export" something?

Thanks.
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Thursday 13 May 2010 10:49:35 Jason Filippou wrote:
> What am I doing wrong? Do I need to "export" something?

You did log out and log back in, right? Your ".profile" is only read on
login.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Thursday 13 May 2010 13:16:21 Jason Filippou wrote:
> > You did log out and log back in, right? Your ".profile" is only read
> > on login.
>
> I actually hadn't done that, and logging in again helped with the PATH
> variable, but I still get nothing when echoing the value of CLASSPATH. I've
> changed the .profile entry to
>
> CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java"
>
> and to
>
> CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java:"
>
> logging out and in again in botch cases, but I'm still not in luck =/

Hrm, your .profile should be "source"d in your current shell, which means
"export"ing it wouldn't be necessary. However, I would suggest "export"ing it
as the first attempt at a work around.
From: David Jardine on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:49:35PM +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to set my PATH and CLASSPATH environment variables so that
> they point to my JDK's bin and some Java source files respectively and this
> is what I've written in my .profile file:
>
> # PATH should also include the latest jdk "bin" directory
> PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/bin:$PATH"
>
> # set the CLASSPATH variable to include anything I do with java
> CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java:$CLASSPATH"
>
> Yet I don't seem to have much luck, since "echoing" both environment
> variables gives me the old value of PATH for PATH and nothing for CLASSPATH:
>
> jason(a)debian:~$ echo $PATH
> /usr/lib/eclipse6.0/bin/i386_linux:/home/jason/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
> jason(a)debian:~$ echo $CLASSPATH
>
> jason(a)debian:~$
>
> This is strange, especially for PATH, because earlier in my .profile I've
> written:
>
> # set PATH so it includes the eclipse bin directory
> PATH="/usr/lib/eclipse6.0/bin/i386_linux:$PATH"
>
> And if you notice the output produced by "echo", this directory is well
> under the scope of PATH.

Perhaps the eclipse directory is added to PATH elsewhere (eg, in
..profile in your home directory) or there is a separate "export" line
in /etc/profile.

> What am I doing wrong? Do I need to "export" something?

Certainly.

export PATH=...
export CLASSPATH=...

> Thanks.

Cheers,
David

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 14:48 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2010 13:16:21 Jason Filippou wrote:
> > > You did log out and log back in, right? Your ".profile" is only read
> > > on login.
> >
> > I actually hadn't done that, and logging in again helped with the PATH
> > variable, but I still get nothing when echoing the value of CLASSPATH. I've
> > changed the .profile entry to
> >
> > CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java"
> >
> > and to
> >
> > CLASSPATH="/home/jason/code/java:"
> >
> > logging out and in again in botch cases, but I'm still not in luck =/
>
> Hrm, your .profile should be "source"d in your current shell, which means
> "export"ing it wouldn't be necessary. However, I would suggest "export"ing it
> as the first attempt at a work around.
What happens if you set it in /etc/environment instead? - John