From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
/dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Because if I can know it by theory, it avoids me `practice.' :)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The exception proves the rule.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Celejar wrote:
> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
> system.

And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?
> In any event, I'm pretty sure that the system will assign an available
> address, generally independent of the port, unless you have a udev rule
> telling it otherwise.

Okay.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:17:11 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Celejar wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
>>> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
>>> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
>>> system.
>>>

>> And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?
>>

> Block devices (external DVD players or hard disks, USB flash, digital
> still cameras, voice recorders and many, many devices...) do not create "/
> dev/ttyUSBx" but get mounted under "/media" (that is, standard "/dev/sdx"
> naming).
>
> Modems (gsm/umts/dial-up) devices and printers do it that way (in fact,
> anything that emulates the "serial" port).

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I'm here speaking about
non-block devices (such as data probes, etc.). Are they automatically
recognized and set up as /dev/ttyUSBx?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 04 July 2010 13:06:51 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
>> ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
>> /dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
>> plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.
>>

> Managed to send my reply to Merciadri alone, again. Sorry, Merciadri. I have
> to change the habit of years and press "l" (ell) instead of clicking
> reply. :-(
>
> My reply was:
>
> Why not just suck it and see?
No problem. I could do it, but I thought such behaviors were already
pre-defined by the kernel's implementation, weren't they?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.