From: godo on

> No, these are normal everyday people who don't know what Windows or
> what Linux is. They have a problem, they call me. No bitching, no
> blaming.

In that case there is no really meter what they have. Only you will do
him a big favor if you put Debian because in that case they will be much
safer from virus's and it's much easier to open synaptic, hit refresh
button, upgrade and apply then manually download all app. and next,
next, next, reboot.
From my experience it is really much easier to have Debian then Windows.
They will call you less :-)
--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

On Sun,11.Apr.10, 12:15:53, godo wrote:

> In that case there is no really meter what they have. Only you will
> do him a big favor if you put Debian because in that case they will
> be much safer from virus's and it's much easier to open synaptic,
> hit refresh button, upgrade and apply then manually download all
> app. and next, next, next, reboot.
> From my experience it is really much easier to have Debian then Windows.
> They will call you less :-)

Sure, but first you have to take care at least of these issues:

* proprietary drivers (if applicable and/or needed)
* multimedia stuff (add debian-multimedia repos)
* backports for:
- wicd or network-manager (if applicable, especially since
network-manager in lenny is too old)
- flashplugin-nonfree
- newer apps if needed (OOo, ...)

Regards,
Andrei

> Sure, but first you have to take care at least of these issues:
>
> * proprietary drivers (if applicable and/or needed)
> * multimedia stuff (add debian-multimedia repos)
> * backports for:
> - wicd or network-manager (if applicable, especially since
> network-manager in lenny is too old)
> - flashplugin-nonfree
> - newer apps if needed (OOo, ...)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Of course but it is necessary step with Windows or any other OS also.
But after that anybody can update with Synaptic.

Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:29, godo <goran(a)dobosevic.com> wrote:
>>> Sure, but first you have to take care at least of these issues:
>>>
>>> * proprietary drivers (if applicable and/or needed)
>>> * multimedia stuff (add debian-multimedia repos)
>>> * backports for:
>>> - wicd or network-manager (if applicable, especially since
>>> network-manager in lenny is too old)
>>> - flashplugin-nonfree
>>> - newer apps if needed (OOo, ...)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrei
>> Of course but it is necessary step with Windows or any other OS also. But
>> after that anybody can update with Synaptic.
>
> No. In windows this is 100% transparent to the user, since all the
> hardware vendors provide all the drivers.

Correct, but that doesn't mean that drivers will perfectly work and easy
to install and configure for average user.

Seldom does a winuser have
> to do any hardware config or so much as use the installation CD.
> Windows update will do it for them.

Unless Windows update broke your Windows :-) Remember SP2 and SP3 on XP?
Or your Vista think that Lenovo WiFi drivers are evil and block them.

(Correct me if i'm wrong but
> didn't Red Hat some 10years ago have a tray icon for updates like XP
> now does?)

I wish i know before 10y what is Red Hat!