From: Eike Lantzsch on
On Thursday 27 May 2010, Paul Chany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old PC Box on which I was run Debian Lenny with kernel
> 2.6.26-2-486. I used it as a Desktop for small jobs.
>
> Yesterday I decided to upgrade it to Squeeze.
> I did the following:
> 1 change the lenny to squeeze in sources.list
> 2 sudo aptitude update
> 3 sudo aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
> 4 sudo aptitude full-upgrade
>
> When the full-upgrade process come to the 'udev' package, it can't
> upgrade to the squeeze version because the running kernel version wasn't
> enough new. So I decided to force the udev upgrade with creating the
> file: 'that I can't remember which name has'.
>
> After successfully upgrade udev and the remain packages, I install - or
> reinstall linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 and linux-image-2.6.32-3-486.
>
> I have installed the GRUB2 too but yet remain in testing state.
>
> When I booth with the linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 or
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel I can't get the HOME and other
> directories but when I booth with the old kernel 2.6.26-2-486 then I get
> the HOME directory and can use the Squeeze system.
>
> How can I fix this so I can use the linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

What file system is your HOME directory on? Maybe it is not supported anymore
by the stock 2.6.32-3-486 kernel?

Cheers, Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519

On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:41:40 -0400 (EDT), Paul Chany wrote:

> I have an old PC Box on which I was run Debian Lenny with kernel
> 2.6.26-2-486. I used it as a Desktop for small jobs.
>
> Yesterday I decided to upgrade it to Squeeze.
> I did the following:
> 1 change the lenny to squeeze in sources.list
> 2 sudo aptitude update
> 3 sudo aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
> 4 sudo aptitude full-upgrade
>
> When the full-upgrade process come to the 'udev' package, it can't
> upgrade to the squeeze version because the running kernel version wasn't
> enough new. So I decided to force the udev upgrade with creating the
> file: 'that I can't remember which name has'.
>
> After successfully upgrade udev and the remain packages, I install - or
> reinstall linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 and linux-image-2.6.32-3-486.
>
> I have installed the GRUB2 too but yet remain in testing state.
>
> When I booth with the linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 or
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel I can't get the HOME and other
> directories but when I booth with the old kernel 2.6.26-2-486 then I get
> the HOME directory and can use the Squeeze system.
>
> How can I fix this so I can use the linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

The correct procedure for doing an upgrade from the previous stable
release to the current stable release is in the release notes for
the current stable release. However, the migration procedure in the
release notes for the testing release is not usually updated until
just before the testing release becomes the stable release. And the
procedure is rarely exactly the same from one release to the next.

My experience is that if you don't follow the specific migration
instructions to the letter in the release notes for the release to
which you are migrating, you will get yourself in trouble. Furthermore,
you can't skip releases. For example, you can't migrate from Etch
directly to Squeeze. You have to migrate from Etch to Lenny and
then from Lenny to Squeeze. Furthermore, even if you do everything
exactly right, you will usually end up with a number of old packages
installed on your system that you don't need.

I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
anymore. I keep /home on a separate partition; and when I'm ready
to upgrade to a new release, I reinstall, formatting the / partition
during installation. The downside, of course, is the requirement
to re-install any packages that are not part of the standard
installation. For some people, that may be a lot of work. For me,
it generally isn't, since I run a fairly standard system.

That's my two cents worth.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Stephen Powell put forth on 5/28/2010 8:18 AM:

> I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
> anymore.

My experience thus far is the exact opposite Stephen. I have one server that
I've in-place upgraded from Woody through Lenny, including hardware upgrades
along the way (NIC, HD, IDE to SATA, piix to libata, same mobo though).
That's 4 successive live distribution upgrades of a single host spanning 8
years. I'm sure servers can be easier due to usually having far fewer
packages installed. (knocks on wood)

Now, the distro upgrade to Squeeze once it becomes Stable may be a different
experience for me entirely, especially if it destroys LILO, installs Grub2,
and hoses my system in the process.

--
Stan

On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:15:54 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 5/28/2010 8:18 AM:
>>
>> I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
>> anymore.
>
> My experience thus far is the exact opposite Stephen. I have one server that
> I've in-place upgraded from Woody through Lenny, including hardware upgrades
> along the way (NIC, HD, IDE to SATA, piix to libata, same mobo though).
> That's 4 successive live distribution upgrades of a single host spanning 8
> years. I'm sure servers can be easier due to usually having far fewer
> packages installed. (knocks on wood)
>
> Now, the distro upgrade to Squeeze once it becomes Stable may be a different
> experience for me entirely, especially if it destroys LILO, installs Grub2,
> and hoses my system in the process.

I'm glad that you've had better luck than I have, Stan.
But now that you mention it, "servers" (i.e. machines with
no desktop environment) seem to tolerate ad-hoc migrations much
better than desktop machines. If I were going to migrate a desktop
machine to a new release, I wouldn't dare attempt it without following
the procedure in the release notes closely. But a "server" tends to be
more tolerant and more forgiving. But by comparing the list of packages
installed on a machine that has been migrated with the list of packages
on a machine that has been installed from scratch, I typically notice
dozens of left-over packages from the old release that the fresh install
does not have. I like to keep things as lean as possible and still
retain full functionality.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 5/28/2010 8:18 AM:
>
>> I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
>> anymore.
>
> My experience thus far is the exact opposite Stephen.  I have one server that
> I've in-place upgraded from Woody through Lenny, including hardware upgrades
> along the way (NIC, HD, IDE to SATA, piix to libata, same mobo though).
> That's 4 successive live distribution upgrades of a single host spanning 8
> years.  I'm sure servers can be easier due to usually having far fewer
> packages installed.  (knocks on wood)
>
> Now, the distro upgrade to Squeeze once it becomes Stable may be a different
> experience for me entirely, especially if it destroys LILO, installs Grub2,
> and hoses my system in the process.

On a fully-updated Lenny, you should be able to change your
sources.list to Squeeze and upgrade/downgrade lilo to grub-pc and
grub-common without pulling in any other Squeeze packages. You could
then reboot the box to make sure that it comes back up before
proceeding. Recovering from a grub2 disaster (if it happens) will be
easier without having to deal with any other potential Squeeze
surprises - like a switch from hdX to sdX.