From: Stanislav Petrenko on
Dear All.

I am trying to adopt fakemodem (or serial) sample using WDK 5744. I built it
and verified using hyperterminal. Trying to install fakemodem onto toaster
bus driver I see sample fully functional. Trying to install fakemodem onto
PCI bus driver (PCI modem) I see that COM properties are not available.
Trying to install fakemodem onto HDAudio bus driver (HDAudio modem) I see
that COM properties are back, however TAPI access doesnot work any more.

Looking through IRP flow I cannot see any major drawback for such behavior.

Does anybody know anything about the matter?

--
Thanks, Stanislav.
From: chris.aseltine on
Stanislav Petrenko wrote:

> I am trying to adopt fakemodem (or serial) sample using WDK 5744. I built it
> and verified using hyperterminal. Trying to install fakemodem onto toaster
> bus driver I see sample fully functional. Trying to install fakemodem onto
> PCI bus driver (PCI modem) I see that COM properties are not available.
> Trying to install fakemodem onto HDAudio bus driver (HDAudio modem) I see
> that COM properties are back, however TAPI access doesnot work any more.

Do those device classes load filters above or below the driver?

There is a large set of serial IOCTLs that must be supported for most
userspace COM port applications to work. If they are being filtered,
you will experience random behavior.

From: Stanislav Petrenko on
No, they do not.

Actually I found that the issue is specific for KMDF fakemodem only. The WDM
fakemodem from the same WDK 5744 works correctly.

It seems for me that is bug in WDF support. I submitted a feedback into
Microsoft Connect.

--
Thanks, Stanislav.

From: Doron Holan [MS] on
if you can give us as many details as possible so that we can reproduce the
problem that would help figure out what is going on.

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Stanislav Petrenko" <StanislavPetrenko(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E98D1508-740A-489F-B9B9-394C315C6D74(a)microsoft.com...

From: Stanislav Petrenko on
Sorry for late responce.

I see the described behavior on the system containing HD Audio modem codec.
Test system is Windows XP SP1 (clean install). HD Audio bus driver is
installed using kb888111.exe. To reproduce the issue it is needed to make the
following steps.
1. Install WDK 5840.
2. Build fakemodem using Windows 2000 x86 build environment. (Start
environment, go into kmdf fakemodem folder, run build -ceZ.)
3. Run devmgm.msc, select Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus, right
click, run Update driver, select path to fakemodem. Point to path with wdf
distributables if necessary.
4. Wait till the driver is successfully installed.
5. Reboot.
6. Open Hyperterminal, connect using "Fakemodem controllerless..."
7. Type AT, see that nothing happens.
8. Connect using "COM3", see that nothing happens again or a message
"Another program is using...". In the WDK 5744 connectrion through COM worked
well, in the WDK 5840 neither connection though COM nor through TAPI works.
9. That is the problem.

I submitted feedback into connect and also attached IRP logs for setup and
test phases.

--
Thanks, Stanislav.