From: Mark on
My girlfriend's Dell MIni 10v netbook works fine with Lenny except for no
sound. A lot of research on my end has resulted in determining that the
reason Ubuntu 9x has sound is because it uses alsa-utils 1.0.21 whereas
Lenny uses 1.0.16-2. Any way I can upgrade just the alsa-utils part of
Lenny without having to move to Squeeze?

Thanks!
Mark
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Sun,13.Dec.09, 14:02:29, Mark wrote:
> My girlfriend's Dell MIni 10v netbook works fine with Lenny except for no
> sound. A lot of research on my end has resulted in determining that the
> reason Ubuntu 9x has sound is because it uses alsa-utils 1.0.21 whereas
> Lenny uses 1.0.16-2.

Are you sure it's not the kernel? You could try 2.6.30 from backports.

> Any way I can upgrade just the alsa-utils part of Lenny without having
> to move to Squeeze?

I see that alsa-utils is not in backports. Your best bet would probably
be to try to install the squeeze package.

If this doesn't work due to additional dependencies needed you could add
a squeeze source and 'aptitude install -t squeeze alsa-utils'. You might
get away with only a few additional packages from squeeze.

Don't forget to remove the squeeze source afterwards or use
default-release/pinning to keep the system to lenny.

Regards,
Andrei
>On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
>I see that alsa-utils is not in backports. Your best bet would probably
>be to try to install the squeeze package.

I'm at the point where it might be better just to install Squeeze, and since
the machine is new with newer hardware Squeeze probably makes sense. The
system needs to be basically trouble- and maintenance-free other than update
downloads, so if mixing Lenny and Squeeze is going to cause more hiccups I'd
rather just go with a pure Squeeze installation and call it good.

Thanks,
Mark