From: Andrew M.A. Cater on
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:55:12AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Thank you . I modified my Lenny settings as the followings :
>
> - under /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>
> address 192.168.10.114
>
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> network 192.168.10.0
>
> broadcast 192.168.10.255
>
> gateway 192.168.10.2
>
> dns-nameservers 4.2.2.4 192.9.9.3
>
> - under /etc/resolv.conf
>
> nameserver 4.2.2.4
>
> But still the gateway cannot be PING . Please be informed that , with
> respect to my low Internet bandwidth , I just installed the Base
> System on my Lenny . Can it be the root cause of the problem of not
> being able to connect my Lenny to Internet ? Please comment me .

Looks reasonably OK. What happens if you do an

ifup eth0?

Do you get any messages in dmesg (dmesg | more will work to show you the
latest contents of dmesg).

Reboot - does the ethernet come up / do you get error messages?

If you know that you will always use eth0, you can change the
allow-hotplug eth0 to auto eth0

Base system should be enough - it's enough to allow you to get updates
from the internet, for example.

Do you have any other machines on your internal network? Can you ping
those or other machines?

If you can, please post any results / error messages.
Also, you don't say what country you're in : it may be that support
resources are available closer to hand :)

All the best,

AndyC

> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:16:43 +0000
> From: amacater(a)galactic.demon.co.uk
> To: debian-user(a)lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrade to Lenny?
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:55:12AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> >
> > Thank you . I modified my Lenny settings as the followings :
> >
> > - under /etc/network/interfaces
> >
> > auto lo
> >
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> >
> > iface eth0 inet static
> >
> > address 192.168.10.114
> >
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > network 192.168.10.0
> >
> > broadcast 192.168.10.255
> >
> > gateway 192.168.10.2
> >
> > dns-nameservers 4.2.2.4 192.9.9.3
> >
> > - under /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > nameserver 4.2.2.4
> >
> > But still the gateway cannot be PING . Please be informed that , with
> > respect to my low Internet bandwidth , I just installed the Base
> > System on my Lenny . Can it be the root cause of the problem of not
> > being able to connect my Lenny to Internet ? Please comment me .
>
> Looks reasonably OK. What happens if you do an
>
> ifup eth0?
>
> Do you get any messages in dmesg (dmesg | more will work to show you the
> latest contents of dmesg).
>
> Reboot - does the ethernet come up / do you get error messages?
>
> If you know that you will always use eth0, you can change the
> allow-hotplug eth0 to auto eth0
>
> Base system should be enough - it's enough to allow you to get updates
> from the internet, for example.
>
> Do you have any other machines on your internal network? Can you ping
> those or other machines?
>
> If you can, please post any results / error messages.
> Also, you don't say what country you're in : it may be that support
> resources are available closer to hand :)
>
> All the best,
>
> AndyC

Thank you so much . At now , my Lenny has access to Internet . I wanted to install ethereal on my Lenny by trying as :

#apt-get install ethereal

But it cannot find it . My Lenny repository is as :

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

Can you please let me know how to modify it to have ethereal installed on my Lenny ?

From: Florian Weimer on
* Hadi Motamedi:

> Thank you so much . At now , my Lenny has access to Internet . I
> wanted to install ethereal on my Lenny by trying as :
>
> #apt-get install ethereal
>
> But it cannot find it .

Ethereal has been renamed to Wireshark, so just install the latter.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:00:45PM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> > If you can, please post any results / error messages.
> > Also, you don't say what country you're in : it may be that support
> > resources are available closer to hand :)
> >

> #apt-get install ethereal
>
> But it cannot find it . My Lenny repository is as :
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> Can you please let me know how to modify it to have ethereal
> installed on my Lenny ?

apt-get install wireshark wireshark-common tshark

which will give you wireshark and the console equivalent tshark.

Ethereal got renamed ?? two years ago ?? after the developer and his
employer fell out. Employer owned the name, so ethereal was renamed and
forked if I recall correctly.

Otherwise, everything you read about ethereal should translate straight
across.

Hope this helps,

AndyC

Ethereal is now called Wireshark