From: lee on
Hi,

does the xine stuff used by kaffeine in Debian use VDPAU? If not, how
can I make it use VDPAU?

And how about the sound when watching DVD-S2 with kaffeine? I've
installed the 1.0-pre2 version of kaffeine from experimental. That
version finds HD channels, and I can see the movies, but there is no
sound. So how can I watch and record DVB-S2 with sound?

And then, how do I cut commercials out of HD recordings? Avidemux
detects h264 but isn't useable with it; dvbcut doesn't detect any
video when opening the recording. Cinelarra doesn't seem to do
anything but create CPU load when opening the recording.

Once the commercials are cut out, how do I get the recording onto a
DVD to play it with a DVD player? Making DVDs works fine with non-HD
recordings, but what about HD?

Nobody?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:40, lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does the xine stuff used by kaffeine in Debian use VDPAU? If not, how
> can I make it use VDPAU?

First you have to have the nvidia driver 180.16 or newer, and from this:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc1Nw

it sounds like only Xine 1.2 has VDPAU. Sid, at least, has a
pre-release version under the name libxine2 (version 1.1.90hg+...),
but it seems like none of the other debian packages are built
to work with it.

Don't know about the rest.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 04:17:52AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:40, lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does the xine stuff used by kaffeine in Debian use VDPAU? If not, how
> > can I make it use VDPAU?
>
> First you have to have the nvidia driver 180.16 or newer, and from this:

Yes, I have 195.22.

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc1Nw
>
> it sounds like only Xine 1.2 has VDPAU. Sid, at least, has a
> pre-release version under the name libxine2 (version 1.1.90hg+...),
> but it seems like none of the other debian packages are built
> to work with it.

Hm. There's a xine-vdpau version available --- I downloaded and
compiled it, but kaffeine needs to be compiled to work with it, and I
couldn't compile kaffeine:

lee(a)yun:~/Inst/vdpau/kaffeine/kaffeine-1.0-pre2$ cmake src/
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:29 (kde4_add_executable):
Unknown CMake command "kde4_add_executable".

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be lower
if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

lee(a)yun:~/Inst/vdpau/kaffeine/kaffeine-1.0-pre2$

Then I googled about that error message, and I might be missing some
kde or qt things. But to get kde to work at all, I had to use one or
another package from unstable or experimental because the dependencies
in testing were broken. I'm not sure what I'm missing for compiling
kaffeine, but it seems that I might mess up things even more trying to
install those, so I gave up at that point.

Apparently, mplayer is supposed to be able to use vdpau, and 'mplayer
-vo help' lists it. But when telling it to use it, CPU load during
playback isn't lower than with kaffeine: I doubt that mplayer does
actually use vdpau --- or if it does, then why is the CPU load still
high? How can I tell for sure if mplayer does use vdpau?

> Don't know about the rest.

Hm. Is mplayer eventually able to play HDTV with sound? I couldn't get
it to work with the TV card at all because I couldn't find out what
the format of the channels.conf it needs is and how to create one.

Mplayer most definitely supports VDPAU, I use it myself all the time. The
one in debian-multimedia, in the testing repository. You need to use a -vc
option as well as a -vo option. Put this in your ~/.mplayer/config:

vc=ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
vo=vdpau

I also added these for DTS and AC3 passthrough via SPDIF (you may need to
change "default" to something else):

ao=alsa:device=default
ac=hwdts,hwac3,

I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you what the exact output from
mplayer is when it's using VDPAU, but it does tell you in its output when
it's using it.

As for using mplayer with a TV tuner card, I tried it once about a year ago
to test out the card, before I set up MythTV. The channels.conf file can be
generated by the "scan" command from the dvb-apps package.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin