From: Hendrik Boom on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:41:28 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
>> What's the story on getting this thing working?
>
> http://udim.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/wacom-bamboo-and-debian/
>
> I'm not entirely sure what "version" of Debian you'd say I was running -
> it's a bit a of a Heinz 57 (stable, *testing*, unstable, volatile,
> experimental) - but that blog gave me enough pointers to get it working
> here a number of months ago.
>
> Chris

It's taken me a while to get back to this.

That blog mentions wacom-tools. I can't even install wacom-tools,
because the current version in squeeze (and sid) conflictw with the
current version of xserver-xorg-input-wacom

Seems like a versioning problem in Debian.

-- hendrik

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:05:09 -0600, ajm wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:53:05AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> What's the story on getting this thing working? I'm running Debian
>> Squeeze on an ASUS 1000HE. The device doesn't seem to be recognised as
>> anything it knows what to do about. It doesn't even seem to know it
>> can be a mouse.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>

> Did not metion the model. I have a Bamboo Model MTE-450A (note: mine
> is usb not serial connection) The following is what I manualy had to add
> to my xorg.conf file:
>
> under this section "ServerLayout" add the following:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
> InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
> InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
> InputDevice "pad" # no core events
> EndSection
>

> then add the following sections:
>

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "stylus"
> Driver "wacom"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
> Option "Type" "stylus" Option
> "USB" "on"
> EndSection
>

> I hope this gives a starting point...

It's taken me a while to find the time to get back to this -- but I find
I don't have a /dev/input/wacom on my system, even when I plug in the
bamboo, whether at boot time or later. By the way, it's a USB device, so
I expect things to be a bit dynamic.

And from the tests described in http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
index.php/howto/main, I suspect the hardware isn't being recognised by
amy driver, let alone the wacom kernel module, even if I modprobe it. Of
course, I can only do that after boot time...

I can't even install the current Debian squeeze package of wacom-tools,
because it conflicts with the current Debian squeeze package for xserver-
xorg-input-wacom. It doesn't help to look at sid; those packages are the
same, so it looks as if waiting a few days for the pipeline to clear
isn't going to remedy the situation.

-- hendrik