From: Bruno Costacurta on
Hello,

I just ordered a laptop with following CPU and vendor specifications

- CPU: Intel Double Cores 64bits (ULV SU4100)
- 2Mo cache
- UltraLowVoltage 10W 1.3Ghz

Which version (I intend to use Squeeze) is the best recommendation ?
Thanks for your advice.

Bye,
Bruno

--
Linux Counter #353844
http://counter.li.org/

On 6/26/2010 8:48 AM, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> Which version (I intend to use Squeeze) is the best recommendation ?
> Thanks for your advice.

The AMD64 dist. would probably be the best for you
You can find the latest amd64 ISOs on the Debian Site.
http://www.debian.com/CD/http-ftp/

Thanks

--Amrit

Hi,

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Amrit Panesar <apanesar(a)4195tech.com> writes:
> The AMD64 dist. would probably be the best for you
> You can find the latest amd64 ISOs on the Debian Site.
> http://www.debian.com/CD/http-ftp/

Shouldn't he be using ia64 port instead? In here[1], for ia64, it writes
that

First officially released with Debian 3.0. This is a port to Intel's
first 64-bit architecture. Note: this should not be confused with the
latest Intel 64-bit extensions for Pentium 4 and Celeron processors,
called EM64T; for these, see the AMD64 port.

and AFAIK, ULV SU4100[2] is not of type EM64T.

Regards.

[1] http://www.debian.org/ports/
[2] http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43568

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:17:29 +0300, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> Shouldn't he be using ia64 port instead?

No, ia64 (Itanium) it's a pure 64 bits Intel architecture.

> In here[1], for ia64, it writes
> that
>
> First officially released with Debian 3.0. This is a port to Intel's
> first 64-bit architecture. Note: this should not be confused with the
> latest Intel 64-bit extensions for Pentium 4 and Celeron processors,
> called EM64T; for these, see the AMD64 port.

So he can use EMT64 ("amd64" port).

> and AFAIK, ULV SU4100[2] is not of type EM64T.

Yes it is! :-)

>From the same page [2] you are sending, it says:

***
Instruction Set: 64-bit
Intel® 64: Yes
***

> Regards.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/ports/
> [2] http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43568

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 04:17, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(a)ttmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Bruno Costacurta <techie(a)costacurta.org> writes:
>> I just ordered a laptop with following CPU and vendor specifications
>>
>> - CPU: Intel Double Cores 64bits (ULV SU4100)
>> - 2Mo cache
>> - UltraLowVoltage 10W 1.3Ghz
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Amrit Panesar <apanesar(a)4195tech.com> writes:
>> The AMD64 dist. would probably be the best for you
>> You can find the latest amd64 ISOs on the Debian Site.
>> http://www.debian.com/CD/http-ftp/
>
> Shouldn't he be using ia64 port instead?

Not unless he has a $10,000+ high-end server, since that the kind of
systems Itanium is found in (competes with POWER and maybe
high-end UltraSparcs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers