From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camale�n wrote:

> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc

s/grub-pc/os-prober/

Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.

Sven

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:22:29 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc
>
> s/grub-pc/os-prober/
>
> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
> if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.

Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?

Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
systems?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 12/07/10 01:22 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camale�n wrote:
>
>> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc
>
> s/grub-pc/os-prober/
>
> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
> if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.

Ah, yes, that is what I was searching for, but I was looking for
probe-os and was a bit confused why I wasn't able to get the right
search results ... and then I saw your post. Thank you.

ever having been read.

On 12/07/10 01:41 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:22:29 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc
>>
>> s/grub-pc/os-prober/
>>
>> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
>> if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.
>
> Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?
>
> Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
> systems?
>
> Greetings,

I don't have that installed either! And yet all my OSes, barring F13,
are being probed alright. So this makes me wonder, does grub-pc even use
it while probing for OSes?

ever having been read.

On 2010-07-12 19:41 +0200, Camale�n wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:22:29 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camale�n wrote:
>>
>>> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc
>>
>> s/grub-pc/os-prober/
>>
>> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
>> if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.
>
> Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?

Which grub version do you have?

> Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
> systems?

I'm not sure if grub legacy even has an option to detect other systems,
but grub2 uses it in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober. In Squeeze, grub-common
therefore recommends os-prober (but not in Lenny due to bug #476184�).

Sven

� http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=476184