From: Michael Tsang on
Consider the following:
Package foo is installed (version 1.0). As it is not in any of the
repositories, its priority is 100.
Package foo is available in both repo xyz and pqr. The version in xyz is 0.9
and its priority is 990; the version in pqr is 1.1 and its priority is 500.
Can foo be upgraded to 1.1 or it will be left intact?
From: Ron Johnson on
On 06/22/2010 01:26 AM, Michael Tsang wrote:
> Consider the following:
> Package foo is installed (version 1.0). As it is not in any of the
> repositories, its priority is 100.
> Package foo is available in both repo xyz and pqr. The version in xyz is 0.9
> and its priority is 990; the version in pqr is 1.1 and its priority is 500.
> Can foo be upgraded to 1.1 or it will be left intact?

Have you tried, to see what happens? --simulate was added for that
reason. I'd try this:

# apt-get --simulate install foo=1.1

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 01:26:28 Michael Tsang wrote:
> Consider the following:
> Package foo is installed (version 1.0). As it is not in any of the
> repositories, its priority is 100.
> Package foo is available in both repo xyz and pqr. The version in xyz is
> 0.9 and its priority is 990; the version in pqr is 1.1 and its priority is
> 500. Can foo be upgraded to 1.1 or it will be left intact?

Foo will be upgraded to 1.1. The 0.9 version is not considered because it is
a downgrade and not does not have a priority above 1000.

Downgrades are not supported, so they are pruned rather early in apt(itude)
processing.

If the 0.9 version had a priority of 1001, Foo would be downgraded to 0.9.

If the 1.1 version had a priority of less than 100, Foo would remain at
version 1.0.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))