From: Liviu Andronic on
Dear all
What files contain the information on the current ("now") apt tree? I
would like to perform backups of these files so that I could restore
the tree if some package upgrade messed up my Debian testing.

Thank you
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 13:49:32 Liviu Andronic wrote:
> What files contain the information on the current ("now") apt tree? I
> would like to perform backups of these files so that I could restore
> the tree if some package upgrade messed up my Debian testing.

Restoring those files would not actually cause a downgrade to occur. They
would just cause the state of the package manager to not accurately reflect
the state of the system. -- Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "apt
tree".

If you need an old package, snapshot.debian.org should have it. You can then
you pinning to avoid upgrading it -- either to a specific version or at all.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Jörg-Volker Peetz on
Not the answer but an alternative solution, restoring from this portal

http://snapshot.debian.org
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> Restoring those files would not actually cause a downgrade to occur.  They
> would just cause the state of the package manager to not accurately reflect
> the state of the system.

Yes, this is what I would like to achieve. I would like the package
manager to switch back to the previous state. Then, I would open
aptitude and it will automatically propose the necessary downgrades (I
think). Thus I could quickly and painlessly restore the system (in
case it was broken by the upgrade) and then hunt down the offending
package when time permits.

What would be the concerned files?

> -- Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "apt
> tree".
>
> If you need an old package, snapshot.debian.org should have it.  You can then
> you pinning to avoid upgrading it -- either to a specific version or at all.

Looks interesting, I'll look into that. Thanks
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

If you are asking what I think you are asking, as in which files would you
need to restore your system in the event that you lose your apt and dpkg
databases, then I do the following:

/var/backups
/var/cache/apt (less /var/cache/apt/archives)
/var/lib/apt
/var/lib/dpkg

This will give you enough that apt-get update, etc works. Now the rules have
probably changed if you use aptitude as I believe it creates/uses a
different database.