From: Camaleón on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:05:59 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:05:57 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> Besides the tip Cameron provided, I add another one (only for GNOME):
>
> Actually, this is a GTK+ method (based on ISO 14755), and it's what I
> use on my XFCE system.
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input#Hex_input

Yes, I always forgot the other Desktops :-).

As you correctly point out, it's a GTK+ feature.

>> - Press Control-R and then press Shift-R (keep those pressed at the
>> same time)
>
> I think that this will work with either left or right Control and Shift
> (at least, it does on my system).

Tested and yes, also works here.

>> - Now press "u" and release the three keys (it will appear an underline
>> "u" in the screen)
>> - Then type "00b2" and press Enter
>>
>> That will render into "²" :-)
>
> I think that one can also keep holding down Control and Shift while
> typing the numbers, and then releasing them. When doing this, pressing
> enter isn't required. Your way may be easier, though.

I think they are two different methods... to get the same (one uses
"compose" key and the other one uses unicode input, the latter not being
available for QT users).

Curious is that I can get "¹²³" by using the "Shift+^+number" method but
that does not work for the rest of the numbers "4 5 6 7 8 9". When I
press that combo (i.e., "Shift+^+4"), my system "beeps" and outputs
nothing :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Monday 12 April 2010 15:23:45 Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:05:59 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> Curious is that I can get "¹²³" by using the "Shift+^+number" method but
> that does not work for the rest of the numbers "4 5 6 7 8 9". When I
> press that combo (i.e., "Shift+^+4"), my system "beeps" and outputs
> nothing :-?
>
> Greetings,

Works for me from 1 to 9; But having a french kbr I press ^ en then SHIFT +
number. Good to know.
Thierry

christ! lots of replies here!

$ echo -e "\xc2\xb9\xc2\xb2\xc2\xb3\xe2\x81\xb4\xe2\x81\xb5"
¹²³⁴⁵

so, that is copy>pasteable.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> - Press Control-R and then press Shift-R (keep those pressed at the same
> time)
> - Now press "u" and release the three keys (it will appear an underline
> "u" in the screen)
> - Then type "00b2" and press Enter

dont do that in webmail, youll reload your page and loose your
carefully crafted email...

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Florian Kulzer
<florian.kulzer+debian(a)icfo.es> wrote:
> It could also be due to the browser not copying certain characters
> correctly to the clipboard.

the GNOME character map cannot show these characters properly. i dont
know the actual key codes and the character map is where i get most
odd characters from.
specifically character map says "U+2072 <not assigned>

> Let's start at the beginning, which output do you get from this command:
> locale

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you mistyped the sequence? ;-)

nah, works in gedit. just not iceweasel.

so, its obvious that i have ² .

so why is it not showing up in the character map?

thanks for all your suggestions.
and camaleón, sorry for the half-built email sent to you!

(...)