From: Bill Cunningham on

"osmium" <r124c4u102(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> I think for the amount of energy expended by you, your time would be
> better spent learning C++, rather than learning to convert to another
> language. There are whole books on the subject of learning C++, AFAIK not
> a single book on how ro convert C++ to C. Isn't that a good enoguh reason
> by itself?

I have the "C++ Primer" and kandr2. C++ has too much overhead IMO. There
is nothing you could not do in C with a little effort that you can't do in
C++. iostream alone carries enough overhead it makes my binaries huge. C is
much smaller. If I was going to OOP, i'd probably pick Java.

Bill

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps(a)start.no> wrote in message

> What exactly do you mean?
>
> Maybe I remember wrong but as I recall RIFF is a kind of generic format,
> where AVI is one common implementation.
>
> And if that's right then it doesn't make sense to convert AVI to RIFF,
> since then it is already RIFF?

AVI is a wrpper as I understand it. A RIFF file with a little more added by
a joint effort of MS and IBM. The standards I've found now are written in C.
So I'm one step ahead now.

Bill

From: Michael Tsang on
Bill Cunningham wrote:

> "osmium" <r124c4u102(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> I think for the amount of energy expended by you, your time would be
>> better spent learning C++, rather than learning to convert to another
>> language. There are whole books on the subject of learning C++, AFAIK not
>> a single book on how ro convert C++ to C. Isn't that a good enoguh
>> reason by itself?
>
> I have the "C++ Primer" and kandr2. C++ has too much overhead IMO.
> There
> is nothing you could not do in C with a little effort that you can't do in
> C++. iostream alone carries enough overhead it makes my binaries huge. C
> is much smaller. If I was going to OOP, i'd probably pick Java.
>
> Bill

You can use OOP in C++ but at the same time stay out of iostream and use C
library to keep your overhead small. (BTW, C++ code generally runs as the
same performance of C code because they are both compiled into machine
code.)
From: Richard Heathfield on
Michael Tsang wrote:

<snip>

> (BTW, C++ code generally runs as the
> same performance of C code because they are both compiled into machine
> code.)

Michael - congratulations! You are now front-runner in the 2010
comp.programming handwave-to-content-ratio contest!

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within