From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/09/2010 03:26 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
> error message:

What exactly (Stable, Testing, Sid) did you update, and what command
did you use to update it?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 05/09/2010 04:48 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 04:44:08PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/09/2010 03:26 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>>> What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
>>> error message:
>>
>> What exactly (Stable, Testing, Sid) did you update, and what command
>> did you use to update it?
>
> Testing. aptitude.

There's a dozen different upgrade methods. Which one did you use?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Just type source .bashrc
Sent from my BlackBerry®

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 04:44:08PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 03:26 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
> >error message:
>
> What exactly (Stable, Testing, Sid) did you update, and what command
> did you use to update it?

Testing. aptitude.

--
"I saw that the State was half-witted ... and I lost all my
remaining respect for it ..." -- Henry David Thoreau

From: godo on
On 05/09/2010 10:26 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
> error message:
>
> ls: unrecognized prefix: hl
> ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable
>
> How should I fix it?

Hi,
looks like coreutils bug

Which version you have?
My is 8.5-1 and I don't have problem with ls coloring.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

On 09.05.2010 22:26, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
> error message:
>
> ls: unrecognized prefix: hl
> ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable
>
> How should I fix it?

Using lenny here, but it has been set in .bashrc afaik at least for the
last 3 debian releases. Doesn't your ~/.bashrc contain something like:

# You may uncomment the following lines if you want `ls' to be colorized:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval "`dircolors`"
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'

Best regards