From: Sjoerd Hardeman on
Seb schreef:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:31AM +0100, Seb wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I just aquired an IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop and have to work out the
>> wireless (amongst other things). The firmware (firmware-ipw2x00) and
>> drivers are installed and working (I think).
>>

> I got some more clues by setting my Wireless Access Point to unsecured
> mode for a test and succeeded in connecting to it without any
> problems. So it's a WPA issue. So at least I know that now (and I know
> that the firmware and drivers are loaded and working).
>
> Does the chipset need to have built-in support WPA for it to work or
> does it only depend on the configuration of wpasupplicant et al, I
> wonder?
>
> I'm running Linux 2.6.26-2-686 by the way. Gonna compile a custom
> kernel for this machine though using the 2.6.32 kernel from backports.
>
> Any tests/hints appreciated...
My wireless (intel 4965) had trouble with some wpa networks (mine at
home. The one at work did fine) before 2.6.30. In that kernel, the new
intel driver iwlagn was introduced, and from that moment on I also had
wireless at home. Maybe you can try a newer kernel, eg. using a live cd?

Sjoerd

From: Sebastian on
Thanks for your input Sjoerd,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:01PM +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Seb schreef:
>> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:31AM +0100, Seb wrote:
>>> Hello all!
>>>
>>> I just aquired an IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop and have to work out the
>>> wireless (amongst other things). The firmware (firmware-ipw2x00) and
>>> drivers are installed and working (I think).
>>>

>> I got some more clues by setting my Wireless Access Point to unsecured
>> mode for a test and succeeded in connecting to it without any
>> problems. So it's a WPA issue. So at least I know that now (and I know
>> that the firmware and drivers are loaded and working).

[snip]

[snip]

>> Any tests/hints appreciated...
> My wireless (intel 4965) had trouble with some wpa networks (mine at
> home. The one at work did fine) before 2.6.30. In that kernel, the new
> intel driver iwlagn was introduced, and from that moment on I also had
> wireless at home. Maybe you can try a newer kernel, eg. using a live cd?

Interesting, I was able to connect to a different wireless network
using WPA as well without any problems (writing this from there
now). So I will try that indeed. Since I'm planning on compiling a
custom kernel for this machine anyways (using linux 2.6.32) I'm
putting my hopes into that, I'll report back how that goes for me.

> Sjoerd

Thanx, Sjoerd.

Sebi

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:47:05 -0400 (EDT), Sebastian wrote:
> Since I'm planning on compiling a
> custom kernel for this machine anyways (using linux 2.6.32) I'm
> putting my hopes into that

Just out of curiosity, why do you plan to compile a custom
kernel, if you don't mind my asking?

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Linux-image testing