From: hugo vanwoerkom on
hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

>>> 'sensors-detect' gets:
>>> Sorry, no sensors were detected.
>>> Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
>>> or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
>>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.
>>
>> Did you read the suggested steps?
>>
>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall
>>
>> Mmm, does not look good.
>> You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the
>> latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect"
>> there either works, then... dunno :-/
>>
>>> BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.
>>
>> Ouch :-(
>>
>>> The only temperature indicators are
>>> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
>>> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000
>>>
>>> It is not clear what these refer to.
>>
>> Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an
>> alarm and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan)
>> to avoid overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not
>> very accurate, I won't take that values very seriously.
>>
>>> 'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.
>>
>> Yes :-(
>
> Lenny has only 2.6.26 kernel. I can try knoppix 6.2.1 which has a 2.6.32
> kernel and see if it has a later lm-sensors.
>
> Lenny has version 3.0.2 and sid has 3.1.2, don't know if that will make
> much difference.

no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors

Hugo

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:

>>> (...)

>>> Did you read the suggested steps?
>>>
>>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall
>>>

>>> Mmm, does not look good.
>>> You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has
>>> the latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running
>>> "sensors-detect" there either works, then... dunno :-/

>>> Ouch :-(

>>> Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an
>>> alarm and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan)
>>> to avoid overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not
>>> very accurate, I won't take that values very seriously.

>>> Yes :-(
>>
>> Lenny has only 2.6.26 kernel. I can try knoppix 6.2.1 which has a
>> 2.6.32 kernel and see if it has a later lm-sensors.
>>
>> Lenny has version 3.0.2 and sid has 3.1.2, don't know if that will
>> make much difference.
>>

> no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
> I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors

But look at this:

hugo(a)debian:~$ sensors -v
sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2
hugo(a)debian:~$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +62.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
temp2: +46.0°C (crit = +70.0°C)

Hugo

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:31:54 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

>> no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
>> I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors
>>

> But look at this:
>
> hugo(a)debian:~$ sensors -v
> sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2 hugo(a)debian:~$
> sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1: +62.0°C (crit = +100.0°C) temp2: +46.0°C (crit =
> +70.0°C)

I'm afraid that is the "virtual device", not the real one. If there are
no more sensors detected (just the virtual), it's a bad sign :-(

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Laptops are very customized/closed devices, I'm
afraid they come ready for Windows (you'll see there are lots of tools
for controlling fan speed and temperature measuring _inside_ win). Also,
manufacturer's tools to handle this are designed for Windows.

I know there are some linux packages for specific laptops (Toshiba,
HP...) that allow to control/customize the function keys and do other
fancy things, maybe you can find something similar for Acer :-?

A BIOS update can (sometimes) help, but don't do it unless you know for
sure what are you doing :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón