From: Umarzuki Mochlis on
i'm trying to create a 64-bit environment on my debian lenny 32-bit to
create a 64-bit deb package
the command i'm using is:
# debootstrap --arch=amd64 lenny lenny64/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/

failure message:
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /home/umarzuki/lenny64 mount -t proc proc
/proc

what is wrong with the command
--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my
From: Steve Kemp on
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 at 08:46:30 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> i'm trying to create a 64-bit environment on my debian lenny 32-bit to
> create a 64-bit deb package
> the command i'm using is:
> # debootstrap --arch=amd64 lenny lenny64/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
>
> failure message:
> W: Failure trying to run: chroot /home/umarzuki/lenny64 mount -t proc proc
> /proc
> what is wrong with the command

You cannot do what you want to do, is the short answer.

The problem is that you cannot run a 64-bit binary upon a 32-bit
system, and thats what you're seeing. Part way through the
debootstrap the system tries to run "chroot /.... mount" which
fails.

(The other way round is fine, on a 64-bit system you can create
a 32-bit chroot.)

If your processor happens to be a 64-bit one then you can fix this
by installing a 64-bit kernel - keeping your system 32-bit but having
the kernel be capable of running both systems..

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/

2009/12/25 Steve Kemp <skx(a)debian.org>

> On Fri Dec 25, 2009 at 08:46:30 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > i'm trying to create a 64-bit environment on my debian lenny 32-bit to
> > create a 64-bit deb package
> > the command i'm using is:
> > # debootstrap --arch=amd64 lenny lenny64/
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
> >
> > failure message:
> > W: Failure trying to run: chroot /home/umarzuki/lenny64 mount -t proc
> proc
> > /proc
> > what is wrong with the command
>
> You cannot do what you want to do, is the short answer.
>
> The problem is that you cannot run a 64-bit binary upon a 32-bit
> system, and thats what you're seeing. Part way through the
> debootstrap the system tries to run "chroot /.... mount" which
> fails.
>
> (The other way round is fine, on a 64-bit system you can create
> a 32-bit chroot.)

thanks, i didn't realize that since i had done the other way around, i just
thought this would work

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis