From: Ron Johnson on
I know that lpr is BSD and lp is SYSV, so lpr is needed for
compatibility, but when comparing the man pages, lpr seems to only
be a "half-the-features" lp.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 19:37:39 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I know that lpr is BSD and lp is SYSV, so lpr is needed for
> compatibility, but when comparing the man pages, lpr seems to only be a
> "half-the-features" lp.

It seems to have less options, yes.

But both ("lp" and "lpr") are included in CUPS so I see no problem here,
we can use whichever best suits our needs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 2010-04-04 05:57, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 19:37:39 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> I know that lpr is BSD and lp is SYSV, so lpr is needed for
>> compatibility, but when comparing the man pages, lpr seems to only be a
>> "half-the-features" lp.
>
> It seems to have less options, yes.
>
> But both ("lp" and "lpr") are included in CUPS

lpr is in cups-bsd and lp is is cups-client.

> so I see no problem here,

I never said there was one.

> we can use whichever best suits our needs.

Right.

But, absent old or cross-platform scripts which need to run on both
Linux and BSD, what *benefit* does lpr have over lp?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 06:13:20 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-04-04 05:57, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> we can use whichever best suits our needs.
>
> Right.
>
> But, absent old or cross-platform scripts which need to run on both
> Linux and BSD, what *benefit* does lpr have over lp?

In todays systems I fail to see a clear difference on both :-?

This article may help:

***
8.17 Printing Protocols (lpr and lp)
http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking/firewall/ch08_17.htm

The System V lp printing system doesn't really have a remote printing
component. When it does remote printing, it usually does it by handing
the job off to a BSD lpr printing system, or by using the BSD rsh command
(which is often called remsh on System V systems, because such systems
have another program called rsh that does something else entirely).
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 2010-04-04 06:31, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 06:13:20 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 2010-04-04 05:57, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> we can use whichever best suits our needs.
>> Right.
>>
>> But, absent old or cross-platform scripts which need to run on both
>> Linux and BSD, what *benefit* does lpr have over lp?
>
> In todays systems I fail to see a clear difference on both :-?
>
> This article may help:
>
> ***
> 8.17 Printing Protocols (lpr and lp)
> http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking/firewall/ch08_17.htm
>
> The System V lp printing system doesn't really have a remote printing
> component. When it does remote printing, it usually does it by handing
> the job off to a BSD lpr printing system, or by using the BSD rsh command
> (which is often called remsh on System V systems, because such systems
> have another program called rsh that does something else entirely).
> ***

This must be an example of "many UNIX vendors implement their own
solutions to remote printing."