From: John O Laoi on
> Then my vote goes to "sit and wait" :-)

I sat and waited and nothing happened.

Today, I did more Googleing and found a sledgehammer solution.

Go to runlevel 3 and login.
Then issue the command

$ rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd

Reboot.

Your gnome-panel settings will be reset to the defaults, but at least
things work again.

John

On Wed,26.May.10, 09:06:57, John O Laoi wrote:
> > Then my vote goes to "sit and wait" :-)
>
> I sat and waited and nothing happened.
>
> Today, I did more Googleing and found a sledgehammer solution.
>
> Go to runlevel 3 and login.

This will probably not have the expected result on a default Debian
install, since runlevels 2-5 are identical.

> Then issue the command
>
> $ rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
>
> Reboot.

The fastest way I can think of to achieve the same:

- boot in "recovery mode"
# rm -rf ~username/.gnome
# reboot

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu:

> - boot in "recovery mode"
> # rm -rf ~username/.gnome
> # reboot

What's the point in rebooting? Just log out, log in on a VT, delete the
directories and log in again. Gnome doesn't keep any daemons running
after the user logs out, or does it?

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree] [Disagree]
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Wed,26.May.10, 10:59:30, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Andrei Popescu:
> >
> > - boot in "recovery mode"
> > # rm -rf ~username/.gnome
> > # reboot
>
> What's the point in rebooting? Just log out, log in on a VT, delete the
> directories and log in again. Gnome doesn't keep any daemons running
> after the user logs out, or does it?

I certainly hope it doesn't :)

Your way is usually safer since it doesn't require root, but changing
VTs can cause issues on some machines...

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu:
> On Wed,26.May.10, 10:59:30, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> What's the point in rebooting? Just log out, log in on a VT, delete the
>> directories and log in again. Gnome doesn't keep any daemons running
>> after the user logs out, or does it?
>
> I certainly hope it doesn't :)

I am going to check this when I am back home!

> Your way is usually safer since it doesn't require root, but changing
> VTs can cause issues on some machines...

Oh dear. When I started using Linux, it was X that was sometimes hard to
get running. :)

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree] [Disagree]