From: Miles Fidelman on
Anybody recognize this process name?

I'm seeing a nightly crash, and this seems to be running at the time
(I've been leaving top running in a window - deb_checkmd5sum seems to be
at the top of the list each time the machine crashes).

I expect it's part of a nightly cron job, but I'm (not yet) sure which one.

Thanks for any pointers.

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 07:52:18 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Anybody recognize this process name?

First time I see it :-?

> I'm seeing a nightly crash, and this seems to be running at the time
> (I've been leaving top running in a window - deb_checkmd5sum seems to be
> at the top of the list each time the machine crashes).
>
> I expect it's part of a nightly cron job, but I'm (not yet) sure which
> one.

Compare the crash time with the cron jobs running/launched at that time
to find out the "guilty pattern" ("/var/log/syslog" should tell).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Why not search for the process name in your hard drive?

Tao
--
Link: http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman(a)meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Anybody recognize this process name?
>
> I'm seeing a nightly crash, and this seems to be running at the time (I've
> been leaving top running in a window - deb_checkmd5sum seems to be at the
> top of the list each time the machine crashes).
>
> I expect it's part of a nightly cron job, but I'm (not yet) sure which one.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Miles Fidelman

> In<fnord>  practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

For educational purposes only:

That's just a silly suggestion, beyond the obvious of searching for
files named deb_checkmd5sum, of which there are none - doing a full text
search on a terabyte of files is just too resource intensive.

In any case, it turns out to be a procedure call inside Tiger - a
somewhat aging security audit package. Turns out that Tiger runs an
hourly cron job that, in turn, calls its own routine that parcels out
tasks across different hours in the day. Buried way deep in nested
config files (cron -> run.hourly -> tigercron) is a job that runs at 1am
that invokes a Tiger sub-package called "check_system" - which in turns
runs a procedure called "checkmd5sum" - which shows up in a process
listing as deb_checkmd5sum (which, I think, comes from a library).
We'll see if turning off that job stops the nightly crashes.

I really can't believe there aren't better crash logging facilities for
Debian.

On 15/06/2010 15:49, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> For educational purposes only:
>
> That's just a silly suggestion, beyond the obvious of searching for
> files named deb_checkmd5sum, of which there are none - doing a full
> text search on a terabyte of files is just too resource intensive.
I don't think it is silly. The volume of files in storage terms is not
relevant; the number of files/directories (the complexity of the
filesystem) is the issue which will impact how long the job takes to
run. You can de-prioritise it below important tasks if you are concerned
about impact.

Before attempting this, though, you can search for files inside packages
via http://packages.debian.org/. That is enough to prove that there are
no official packages containing a filename ending in deb_checkmd5sum.

> In any case, it turns out to be a procedure call inside Tiger - a
> somewhat aging security audit package. Turns out that Tiger runs an
> hourly cron job that, in turn, calls its own routine that parcels out
> tasks across different hours in the day. Buried way deep in nested
> config files (cron -> run.hourly -> tigercron) is a job that runs at
> 1am that invokes a Tiger sub-package called "check_system" - which in
> turns runs a procedure called "checkmd5sum" - which shows up in a
> process listing as deb_checkmd5sum (which, I think, comes from a
> library). We'll see if turning off that job stops the nightly crashes.
Interesting. I'd never heard of "tiger", but I see that it is packaged:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/tiger.html

> I really can't believe there aren't better crash logging facilities
> for Debian.
No need to disbelieve, there undoubtably are - we haven't even
established what you mean by "crash" on debian-user yet.