From: John O Laoi on
I am using squeeze.

To join a webcast, I download a .jnlp file. ( I am using Iceweasel)

When it is finished downloading, a pop-up box offers me to open it
with "Sun Java 6 Web Start (default)".

I accept, and then I get a number of errors, with the heading
"Application error - unable to launch the application"

When I enquired with the supplier, I was told that I need
to have the Java Runtime Environment from www.java.com installed.

I am probably trying to open the .jnlp with the wrong Java.

Questions:
How do install the java from www.java.com using aptitude?

How do I ensure that this is the Java that is automatically chosen
from within Iceweasel to open .jnlp file?

John

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:39:20 +0100, John O Laoi wrote:

(...)

> Questions:
> How do install the java from www.java.com using aptitude?

You can't.

But as per you above comment, it seems you are already using Sun's Java
JRE.

Run "update-alternatives --display java"

> How do I ensure that this is the Java that is automatically chosen from
> within Iceweasel to open .jnlp file?

Type "about:config" in the address bar and change:

plugin.expose_full_path

to "true"

Then close Icewesel and open it again, and type in address bar:

"about:plugins"

And look for the plugin in charge of handling Java files (checkout the
path to the file).

Note 1. Can you send the link to the file you are trying to launch?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón