From: Peter Tenenbaum on
Does anyone know where I can find a linux driver for the Lite-on iHAS324-98
DVD writer? I'm trying to install Debian on a brand-new,
assembled-from-parts workstation, and I'm getting a complaint about this.
Interestingly, the DVD reader is recognized well enough to boot from the
Debian DVD I inserted into the drive!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
-PT
From: Jimmy Johnson on
Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find a linux driver for the Lite-on
> iHAS324-98 DVD writer? �I'm trying to install Debian on a brand-new,
> assembled-from-parts workstation, and I'm getting a complaint about
> this. �Interestingly, the DVD reader is recognized well enough to boot
> from the Debian DVD I inserted into the drive!
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> -PT

On the boot kernel line try cheat code "rootdelay=10" without the
quotes, that will give the installer more time to load the cd, it also
works swell for flash drive installs.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Mr. Johnson --

Regarding your suggestion of adding a rootdelay=10 line to the boot kernel:
how do I go about doing that? I'm attempting to install onto a blank hard
drive from Debian Lenny DVDs, so I don't think there's anywhere that I can
write to which makes sense. Would I need to do a boot from USB drive to
make this work?

-PT

From: Peter Tenenbaum on
I just started a new thread which supersedes this one, as I think my problem
is not actually a driver problem but the more notorious issue of SATA drives
not being detected (specifically, "No common CD-ROM drive was detected").

From: Jimmy Johnson on
Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> Mr. Johnson --�
>
> Regarding your suggestion of adding a rootdelay=10 line to the boot
> kernel: �how do I go about doing that? �I'm attempting to install onto a
> blank hard drive from Debian Lenny DVDs, so I don't think there's
> anywhere that I can write to which makes sense. �Would I need to do a
> boot from USB drive to make this work?

After you boot the cd and then you choose your option for the install
you you will be able to hit an F key or tab key to choose boot options.

I do a lot of different installs so the Debian installer is a little
fuzzy in my head right know, play with the installer, but what you are
looking for is a place to add boot options.