From: jidanni on
How can I make firefox/iceweasel not display an image until it has fully
arrived or something? As of now it just looks like strips of bacon until
the image has fully loaded and (only about half the time) refreshes
itself to normal. This all started happening about a month ago on
several of my machines I use sid/experimental on. I've tired lots of
about:config tips, no help. I am using 256/64K ADSL.

On 06/30/2010 04:21 PM, jidanni(a)jidanni.org wrote:
> How can I make firefox/iceweasel not display an image until it has fully
> arrived or something? As of now it just looks like strips of bacon until
> the image has fully loaded and (only about half the time) refreshes
> itself to normal. This all started happening about a month ago on

Version change?

> several of my machines I use sid/experimental on. I've tired lots of
> about:config tips, no help. I am using 256/64K ADSL.

That sounds like progressive interpretation. Does it happen with
*all* web sites?

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/12/progressive-image-rendering.html

--
Seek truth from facts.

Can I somehow tell Firefox not to use its "strips" rendering algorithm,
and instead use midori's whole picture progressive algorithm?

Otherwise I am going to go nuts.

Here's what is left sitting on my screen, day in and day out, when
Firefox thinks it has already finished rendering the image, and there I
am having to look at it.

http://imagebin.ca/view/yHAlz0w7.html
http://imagebin.ca/view/44yqU7N.html
http://imagebin.ca/view/WBqRmWp.html

The last one is what
http://www.couchsurfing.org/image_gallery.html?id=9TCAPSF&folder=282524&skip=1#7808553
looks like to me. Of course for you the reader of this bug report,
WORKSFORME, because you are using a fast connection or something, so
Firefox's time assumptions work or something. Yes, upon clicking refresh
the picture looks fine.

Anyway, just believe me this is what I am seeing, on all my machines,
with all websites, and tell me the about:config setting to stop it. I
can't find which one.

Version information see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587288

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:34:29 +0800, jidanni wrote:

> Can I somehow tell Firefox not to use its "strips" rendering algorithm,
> and instead use midori's whole picture progressive algorithm?
>
> Otherwise I am going to go nuts.
>
> Here's what is left sitting on my screen, day in and day out, when
> Firefox thinks it has already finished rendering the image, and there I
> am having to look at it.
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/yHAlz0w7.html
> http://imagebin.ca/view/44yqU7N.html
> http://imagebin.ca/view/WBqRmWp.html

Wow...

Some tips/tests:

1/ Try launching Firefox with an empty/new profile (no cookies, no
history, no cache, no configuration settings...)
2/ Try launching Firefox with no plugins enabled
3/ Try with another browser (to discard any problem with vga or drivers)
4/ Try openning a local image with Firefox

> The last one is what
> http://www.couchsurfing.org/image_gallery.html?
id=9TCAPSF&folder=282524&skip=1#7808553
> looks like to me. Of course for you the reader of this bug report,
> WORKSFORME, because you are using a fast connection or something, so
> Firefox's time assumptions work or something. Yes, upon clicking refresh
> the picture looks fine.

Weird. But people in the know of Firefox inners can tell you what can be
cause of this.

> Anyway, just believe me this is what I am seeing, on all my machines,
> with all websites, and tell me the about:config setting to stop it. I
> can't find which one.

I dunno any option for this that can be tweaked here :-?, but there are
many values, take a look:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries

> Version information see

There is someone looking at it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 07/01/2010 10:34 PM, jidanni(a)jidanni.org wrote:
[snip]

> Version information see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587288

Wel, it looks like the bug is in libcairo2...

--
Seek truth from facts.